Removing Chrome Roof Gutter Trims

dale72ke20

Hi Guys,

I am starting to pull down my ke20 for a tidyup and was wondering how to remove the gutters trim.

Would like t know if there is a special way to do this to avoid damaging them.

Also, what have people used to reseal the gutters. I'm looking at removing the old sealant and running a wire brush along to clean them up. I have noticed a slight rusty stain in a couple of spots so want to hit it before it takes hold ( will use rust convertor as well if needed ).

Cheers

Dale

Members dont see this ad

I have been wondering about this too and been waiting for someone to answer. Since no one did, I consulted the factory body book!

There are small steel clips at intervals along the gutter that act to retain the chrome trim. According to the manual, you look at where these clips are (most likely the spots where you have noticed the rust) place your thumb under the chrome trim at that point and your finger on the top of the chrome trim then twist the trim with your thumb going outward away from the car and your finger going inward toward the roof. This releases the clip from the underside of the roof gutter and the trim should come away.

If it was me, I would give the clips a liberal soaking in WD40 or some sort of penetrating oil beforehand to assist in them releasing.

• Upvote 1

If its anything like how the KE70 clips work you start at the back and twist the strip from the base up a few degree's and push forward and they pop off with a bit of jiggling. If your careful you'll get them off and they'll have only a slight twist that straightens up when you put them back on.

mmm ive recently done this n all i can say is be very careful! mine wont sit flush with the car doors now... on the ends that is... maybe u can use sum glue or sumthing to keep em down if needed. i'd like to see ur results.. as i didnt really think it thru n jus poped mine off..

Edited by shayden

Thanks for the advice gents, will be having a go at this after new years. have a week off work and looking to get a few things done.

Extractors and carbies fitted

rear brake wheel cylinders replaced

gutters sorted resealed and roof repainted

flares fitted

front spoiler fitted

windscreen popped, new dash top fitted and a new screen and rubber put in.

And anything else i can fit in to the time.

Cheers

Dale

Hey mate, i've done this on my KE30, i went down to the wreckers and basically practiced while trying to retrieve them.

They are relatively easy i found. I think from memory there are about 3 clips per trim, 2 trims either side? may be different for KE2x though.

Best of luck.

But yeah follow what everyone else has said. Although in the middle there will be an overlapping of one trim to the other twist that off, hold from the bottom (thumb on the bottom index finger on top) and twist up. Then go from the back. And make sure when you are putting them back on put the clips (if you happen to lose one or two like i did!! :bash: ) at the ends so they don't stick out and twist outwards.

Let us know how you go.