Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Choice Of Aftermarket Ke20 Shocks

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

 

I'm in the process of sorting the suspension for my KE20 and choosing some aftermarket shocks.

The main problem I have encountered so far is that the only shocks that are readily available for a KE20 are standard replacement units. I'm after some more performance items such as some Konis or Bilsteins.

 

My current plan was to measure up the current shock dimensions (Diameter, extended and compressed lengths) and work my way through catalogues to find a replacement. I also remember Taz suggesting some people have put later model KE shocks is a 20. Who has done this and if so what did you use?

 

If anyone can let me know what they have used and with what success it will save me a great deal of time.

Cheers,

Dougal

From the Monroe catalogue that i have here, the same shock (25-3810) is used from the ke18 - ke55.

Its classed as a "T1" - scan included for a reference.

Body length - 413mm

Compressed length - 413mm

Extended length - 606m

 

post-1432-046864500 1293343261_thumb.jpg

I used Boge ke55 replacements. Solid as. Had use a 2mm sleeve inside the lower eye. You could also drill the lower shocky mount to suit the 16mm eye on the shock...

Do a bit of a search. I've seen a Bilstein part number on here before, for fitment to a KE30. As alluded to above, they are the same as earlier KE's. Depending on what you're trying to achieve though, it may be a better idea to do a strut swap. The struts on early KE's are pretty narrow.

I think he's just talking about the rear shock absorbers.

 

If he is talking about front strut inserts, I think pedders do a comfort ride short stroke insert but only to suit 38mm lower and there is no straight forward strut swap for a ke20. Modified control arms would be required. The struts would then need to be shortened to maintain the ke20 geometric stance. The struts would then required shorter inserts and springs. Not cheap.

 

I went 55mm lower in the front but the suspension shop had to shorten the strut leg. Kings only make a 38mm lowered spring so mine were recoiled to suite 55mm. No one makes a short stroke insert to suit a 50mm lower spring so 'Boge' VW golf mk1 short stroke inserts were used with bump stops. Its more like a half coil over.

 

The rear I used 50mm lowering blocks ke55 leaf springs and 'Boge' ke55 shocks. It went like this...post-8643-054842300 1293349298_thumb.jpg

Edited by GJM85

  • Author

Thanks for the info guys, nice to have it clarified that the shocks are the same through those models.

I am interested in front shocks too, and yes I would like to keep the KE20 struts for the moment.

 

Lowering wise I was planning on getting a set of kings for the front and then re-setting the rear to suit. I wouldn't want to lower it any more than 50mm as I want to keep things legal. When I had a bit of a measure under the car for clearance, I found that 50mm would be about the limit if you are to keep things legal.

doogs if my memory is right i fitted vh commodore rear shock, to my ke-25 race car. they were revaled bilstens hope this helps doogs micke

I will have to check with him but dfunkt was running aw11 mr2 rear strut inserts in tyefront of his 20 before he sold it, they are the same diameter but are around an inch shorter stroke. And readily available.

 

Will send him a message to confirm this but there is a bit of info around on the swap.

 

JP

silly nobby.....

 

AW11 MR2 rear inserts are for when you do a coilover conversion, cos they're short you can make it low and still have some travel both up and down.

 

 

 

i got some secondhand Koni front shocks from JDM-land that were removed from a KE20. couldn't tell you a P/N unfortunately.

 

rears i just put in some i removed from a KE35 coupe. stiffened it up a bit at least.

 

 

as for seeing what will fit. i spent about a week going thru different catalogues for my MS65 crown. ended up with new bilstein fronts from an old ovlov, and rears i got some NOS from ebay.

 

step 1. identify stock inserts: top and bottom mounts, compressed and extended lengths.

step 2. find and record other model cars with inserts that have same top and bottom mounts.

step 3. go thru new list and check comp/ext lengths to see what is too long/the same/too short (no such thing as too short!!!)

step 4. with those different models that are suitable to be used size-wise, what is the difference in car weights.....too heavy/too light (ie. if the new shock comes from a car that is 300kgs heavier, it will most likely be stiffer)

step 5. call/email dealer/distributer of bilstein/koni/monroe/etc to see availability of possible replacements.

 

best of luck

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.