Manifold Length For Side Draft Carbies

Hi,

Been hidding in the back ground lately but finally getting back into doing suff to my KE15.

So the time has come to install a set of side draft carbies. I have decided to go with Solex PHH 40 carbies....now hides from flaming....

But anyway after hunting around I felt the JDM style manifolds suited me best with cast linkages and better arrnagement for linkages. So I bought 2. Fist one is a short runner second manifold is a longer runner.

Now I know manifold length will affect performace of a motor so how should I match a manifolds length to engine specs?

So now for my engine specs:

5k JDM deep dish

Shaved head for 195PSI compression average over 4 cyclinders.

Inlet and exhaust ports de-burred and slightly jsut a tad re shapped so minor porting.

3f sold lifter conversion

Dirty pacemaker 4-1 off the shelf KE1X extractors

Now the cam....cam sheet below:

post-1811-060952300 1293544029_thumb.jpg

SO now you know my engien specs how do I match a manifold to this motor. What would suit best length wise?

I shall get pics etc up of manifolds tomorrow.

Cheers

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

Hey Cameron, i just fitted a pair of these solex carbs to my Ke10

this past week. its on a 5k also. i have used a Redline manifold

which is approx. 72mm from the head to the carb mounting face.

I have then got a ram tube on the end of the carbs which measure

about 43mm and i am left with 2mm of clearance to the inner strut tower

on the third from front intake tube.

these measurements are taken on the car so not exact, but close

Its a tight fit, i will try to get a photo up a little later

Cheers Justin

Hi,

Been hidding in the back ground lately but finally getting back into doing suff to my KE15.

So the time has come to install a set of side draft carbies. I have decided to go with Solex PHH 40 carbies....now hides from flaming....

But anyway after hunting around I felt the JDM style manifolds suited me best with cast linkages and better arrnagement for linkages. So I bought 2. Fist one is a short runner second manifold is a longer runner.

Now I know manifold length will affect performace of a motor so how should I match a manifolds length to engine specs?

So now for my engine specs:

5k JDM deep dish

Shaved head for 195PSI compression average over 4 cyclinders.

Inlet and exhaust ports de-burred and slightly jsut a tad re shapped so minor porting.

3f sold lifter conversion

Dirty pacemaker 4-1 off the shelf KE1X extractors

Now the cam....cam sheet below:

post-1811-060952300 1293544029_thumb.jpg

SO now you know my engien specs how do I match a manifold to this motor. What would suit best length wise?

I shall get pics etc up of manifolds tomorrow.

Cheers

Cameron

hi cameron the length of the manifold tubes usually relates to the rev range you want your max tourque you balance this with street or strip use short sounds good because of clearence cheers lou

After trying a set of dellortos on my ke10 I'm pretty sure you will have to go with the short manifold, I measured up a long runner redline one and it just wouldn't fit in the bay!

Grab a look at philbeys setup, very tight it he managed to get a great filter setup inside.

JP

I know the lynx manifolds are shorter but i'm not entirely sure where'd you find one.

Relationship of Intake Port to Torque Peak

This is interesting. For a 5k with peak torque at 7500rpm a 7.9 cubic cm intake runner per cylinder is ideal for minimum airflow resistance. As estimation of course.

It would be interesting to know the volume of the runners in a lynx and a redline manifold for comparison.

Edited by GJM85

Hello,

We thanks all for input :) And cheers KE1069 for the pics :)

Now My cam is about 2700-7000RPM ish where it makes power.

Now I have measured my parts for lengths accurately and was hoping if I could get others to do rough measurements that would be good to for comparisons :)

So here are my measurements:

Ram tubes: 42.72mm long

Heat shield spaces for carbies: 8.01mm

Heat spacer gaskets: 1.02mm (need 2 per carbie)

40mm PHH type R: 117.96mm long (I lapped these a bit to square them up so others might be a few thou longer).

2 manifolds to suit:

Long runner type: 108.48mm roughtly along centre line of runner.

Short:80.00mm long along centre line of runner.

So I whipped out a head I had sitting on my bedroom floor placed my short manifold on it and roughly from the top of the manifold face to the centre of the carburetor face with short manifold is 66.58mm. That is less KE1069 as he has 72mm so I should be good for clearance :)

But KE1069 question did you re-jet your carbies? As I see you have type S5 solex carbies and they were standard on the 2T to 18R-g motors so wanting to know did you re-jet or leave the old jets in the carbies?

Cheers

Cameron

Hey Cameron, I'd be using the long manifold if you have room (doubtful?).

Mainly because its a nicer flowing thing without aggresive radius's, which the redline manifolds are reknowned for. Your short one does look quite tasty though.

Cheers, and good luck setting it up

Gday Cameron,

Man the manifolds and carbs you have look awesome.

I don't know much about these carbs to be honest, i got this 5K running

and it has a stupid cam in it, (3000-7500rpm) had to take a mil off the

head surface so the hydraulic lifters were still useable.

i put a standard 4K carb on it and it went awesome then the solex carbs

came up for sale complete so i have just bolted them on. No idea on what jets

or anything, havent even tuned them but this thing revs and pulls hard

and the induction noise is phenomenal.

Good luck with your set up

Cheers Justin

Hello,

Yes longer manifold on ticket that came with it had KP61 so not sure if they run more room in the engine bay but hey would be the better pic.

As for short one compared to my red line manifold I dare say nowhere near as vicious radius hard to tell in the pic but the runners on these are very straight and minimal casting defects best ones I have ever had. So I think they will both be good but hey see how we go as end of the day will only be on the car with a slanted engine for install tuning ;)

As for the solex KEI069 that is 6 months of hand re building there. I found a great trick while studying at uni is have a break between study and re build a carbie a bit at a time. SO they are many work lunch breaks on lapping and polishing machines and everything and in cleaning tanks at work then slowly reassembled at home during study over 6 months I got the pair but I am very happy with them.

They are probably better than factory every surface lapped flat and true and square and all new jets all new seals all new ground flat throttle shafts all new gaskets list goes on......lol

But I hope it was worth it.

Also they are type R solex so they have up dated retaining systems for the ventures etc so these ones wont wiggle lose on me..LOL

Cheers

Cameron