5K Gearbox??

CRO747

Members dont see this ad

Well if you're one of these tools who think a big man drops the clutch at 5000rpm and smokes the tyres in curcular burnouts then the diff won't last.

However if you always have the car rolling before you floor it you will be surprised how long a stock diff can last. Its the shock loading that snaps axles and strps teeth off gears, and if you weld the diff you will overload other components even more.

Run stock stuff an treat it intelligently until you have the T stuff ready. Keep an eye on the weight of the diff too, as the heavier it is the greater the weight flailing around ruining the handling in the back.

mmmmm, I'll second the above. If driven properly (not abused) stock stuff will last a long time. Run your k series box and see if it does break. I wasnt making huge power out of my 5k's but they were healthier than stock and even with motorsport use, stock stuff used to last. In 15 years or so, I only ever broke on box and that was due to stupidity - slotting first gear while doing 50km/h. Even this left the box still drivable. Welded diffs used to last me a couple of years, think I replaced 4 or so over the years.

Another example of supposedly week gearboxes is my uncles FX Holden. The Opel gearbox that was fitted, not known for its strength, outlasted two well modified 202's.

A gearbox article in Steet Machine years ago summed it up perfectly. Quote "If you keep breaking gearboxes, do yourself a favour and by an auto....."

i know what you guys are saying and i don't think they will last long the clutch will be dropped at 5thou revs and be given a hard time often i am building it for drifting and track days stil got a while till its going anyhow see what happens and how the funds are at the time :P