Interchanging K Series Heads

rjenman

but isn't the 4k block about 3/4" taller to make up for the stroke?

yes. think it is 10.5mm taller. there is the extra stroke, plus the 4k rods are also a little longer.

Cookie, you are probably thinking of Stewart Fords article on his website.

3k heads are overated. really it isn't that hard to get extra compression using your existing head, just get it skimmed.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok. So you are saying that stroke made up the 100cc difference between the 3k and 4k. So, if i fit a 4k crank into my 3k block, I will then have a 1300?

If so, if I fit a 5k crank into a 3k block, will I get the same result (1500cc)?

So there was no changes in bore sizes, only stroke and compression?

Sorry to move in on your topic rjenman

read the rollaclub wiki mate

K series engines : blocks

read the rollaclub wiki mate

Ha... good point. Should really get round to doing that...

FYI, You can't bolt a 4K crank directly into a 3K. Some clearance work is required due to the larger stroke.

Ah, ok. I was just going to do it as a sort of backhand manouvere to get some extra capacity out of my engine, as we are only allowed to run 1200cc engines. I now know that the crank has 4k on it now as well, so there is definitely no chance of me getting away with it (Has to be engine sealed by a CAMS official, yes I do know ways around it, no I'm not going to.). Oh well, that'll teach me to think about cheating....

Cheers for the help. Sorry for stealing a thread :D

all engines (k/3k/4k) have the same bore size (75mm) apart from a 5k and 7k(both 80.5mm), which have dished pistons.

if you bolt a k/3k/4k head on a 5k (7k has extra headbolts and isn't interchangable) you will lose compression.

there is 5K engines with flat top(very small dish) pistons out there, how you tell them is under number 1 spark plug hole there's no alloy lump sticking out, that's the best way of knowing what piston you have without pulling the head off it.

if you put a 4k head on to one of these engines you'll end up with a healthy compression ratio.

i think the 5k engine i gave nick had flat tops in it.

5K block, flat top pistons and 4K head is my current plan :D

good plan, i had the same in my starlet in NZ with twin carbs, lightened flywheel, exhaust, and cam and it use to shit on rotaries.

new flat top pistons can be brought in Aus for around $150 a set with sizes up to 1mm oversize.

if you do bore it to 1mm oversize make sure you have a good cooling system as there is a increase in temp.

the 4k head is a good idea as you can shape the chamber better.

good luck with the engine.