Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Carburetor Interchangibility?

Featured Replies

So, I have a KE17, It has a 1K in it, and I'm trying to rebuild the carburetor but this carb hasn't been run in 30 or so years, so I'm having some issues with that, lol. I've been looking for a refurbished carburetor to replace it in case I can't get it back together, but there doesn't seem to be any available. I know the displacements are different in each of them, does that mean the carburetors are different? I can get a remanufactured one for a 3k for like 165$ (US currency). Would it fit and WORK on my 1k?

A few blokes on here would have a few lying around or you could use a 32/36 weber and manifold

 

whatever is cheaper and easier for you

I can't see why you would have any problems with a 3K carb on the K. Possibly variation in the carb linkage? But I suspect that won't cause you too many dramas to swap the linkage or whatever.

 

The K carb has mildly larger jetting but a smaller power pump when compared to a 3KC

 

Carb kits are readily available for the K carb on ebay. You need part No. AN101, although there are various numbers depending on the manufacturer.

Convert to twin SUs. There is a Lynx manifold for sale at the moment & I think there is a pair of inch &1/4 SUs for sale too.

  • Author

Convert to twin SUs. There is a Lynx manifold for sale at the moment & I think there is a pair of inch &1/4 SUs for sale too.

 

I'm not really ready for all that yet, I'd really just like to get the engine running before I think about modifying anything.

 

Parrot: Do the 3k and the 1k carbs flow the same amount and bolt up the same way?

I'm not really ready for all that yet, I'd really just like to get the engine running before I think about modifying anything.

 

Parrot: Do the 3k and the 1k carbs flow the same amount and bolt up the same way?

 

 

1 k and 3 k carbs are basiclly the same.

 

both run 28mm throttle body's

the 1k had 21mm pre and 24mm Sec venturi's

3k's has a few varations on venturi sizes being 19 or 21mm Pri and 24 or 25 mm sec.

There are also varations in the venturi booter area both 1k and 3k as there are variations of 7mm and 8mm across the board

The 3k carb with the 25mm sec suffer's from atomisation issues in the primary low speed circuit, But that doesn't worry me As I don't like drive slow.

Most 3k carbs have a anti dieseling valve, were the 1k's didn't, just unscrew the valve snip the end off and you have disabled it along with all of the issues it creates.

The 3k carbs also has a hot idle compensator some internal and some external.

 

All up there were about 60 different variants of the 3k carby, The above is what I've discovered.

 

The throttle cable is different and the return spring as well

 

Opps forgot one more thing the 1k throttle shaft is smaller so the carby may flow better, but then again get the 3k with the 25mm sec venturi it might flow better.

 

 

However in a nutshell

Yes it will bolt on, you will need to steal a 3k return spring and return spring bracket.

 

The Bad news is the carbys are rubbish, I'd go for a weber if I could, We only run them cause the rules state we have too.

 

Cheers

Andy

  • Author

Wow, That's quite a bit of information! But it did tell me everything I need to know, Thank you! I don't think I'll be converting anytime soon, I really just want to get this car to run as cheaply as possible so I can start fixing it. Lol!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.