A Pile Question That Has Probably Been Asked A Million Times Before

3lud13

All the others substantially add complexity.

And with it, costs :)

The thing I love about this forum, there's always someone who knows more than you do about a particular topic (in my case anyway) & people here usually arent afraid to call BS when they see it :no2:

Hook into the links Twinky & ke70dave provided, get the grey matter churning & don't forget to get yourself a rides thread up so we can see how you're going! :yes:

Members dont see this ad

Have been going through those links and doing more research myself and kind of know the direction I want to head in.

I got my notebook and pencils out and scribbling notes everywhere getting part quotes from places and more ideas.

I do plan on starting my own ride thread at some stage thinking maybe doing it sooner than later to keep all my research ideas and ideas and advice from other forum members all in one place.

Everyone is saying ignore the 4agze which I also would agree on until I heard some info today. The way I see it and please feel free to inform me from fact and fiction.

The 4agze is the same as the 4age except its a supercharge engine, ok I don't want a supercharged engine (there for muscle cars not imports imports use turbo) so that eliminates that. I want a turbocharger (my theory is if you doing an import no point unless you got turbo. Today I heard that the 4agze came stock from factory my research hasn't produced any of this information though my r esearch is only about a week old, also was told if you got the 4agze you could just remove the supercharger and bolt a turbo straight on.

Everyone is saying ignore the 4agze which I also would agree on until I heard some info today. The way I see it and please feel free to inform me from fact and fiction.

The 4agze is the same as the 4age except its a supercharge engine, ok I don't want a supercharged engine (there for muscle cars not imports imports use turbo) so that eliminates that. I want a turbocharger (my theory is if you doing an import no point unless you got turbo. Today I heard that the 4agze came stock from factory my research hasn't produced any of this information though my r esearch is only about a week old, also was told if you got the 4agze you could just remove the supercharger and bolt a turbo straight on.

Ouch, but okay.. :lol:

Long story short, the GZE came with a lower compression ratio than the GE's via different headgasket & pistons. This made it friendlier to boost & yes, it was factory produced by Toyota. :yes: As Parrot said though, not in AE82s. :no2: It shares features of the later generation n/a engines, such as oil squirters for the pistons, a 7-rib block, larger diameter gudgeon pins & a lack of TVIS :wink:

You could remove the s/c & fit a turbo, but this would require plumbing of oil/coolant lines, new exhaust manifold, more than likely a larger intercooler & getting the factory systems to cope with the amount of boost you plan to run, other than the 8-9psi of standard :)

Edited by carbonboy

Ouch, but okay.. :lol:

Long story short, the GZE came with a lower compression ratio than the GE's via different headgasket & pistons. This made it friendlier to boost & yes, it was factory produced by Toyota. :yes: As Parrot said though, not in AE82s. :no2: It shares features of the later generation n/a engines, such as oil squirters for the pistons, a 7-rib block, larger diameter gudgeon pins & a lack of TVIS :wink:

You could remove the s/c & fit a turbo, but this would require plumbing of oil/coolant lines, new exhaust manifold, more than likely a larger intercooler & getting the factory systems to cope with the amount of boost you plan to run, other than the 8-9psi of standard :)

OK well as I am doing this on a budget kind of and don't have heaps of cash to splash about a turbo isnt on the top of my list of things to add but it is something I would like to leave open in the future. Also its probably going to be alot easier and cheaper to find an age than an agze so that is the way I am going to go for now I think (though I'm still in the research and planning stages so this could change) But I do guess that also shows me that its quite doable to add a turbo to an age or an agze but it gonna cost a few coin

By far the cheapest option is the direct swap. Anything else will involve eye watering amounts of money. With a cheap donor, new oil, brake pads etc should cost a maximum of $1000. If anything from the donor needs replacing, you should pick it up at a self serve wrecker or on here cheap. These are throw away cars these days.

No reason why you can't go with the direct swap now, and go silly sometime in the future.

As Parrot said, stick with the direct swap 16v 4age... and I wouldn't think it's much harder to get the 16v 4age ready for a turbo then it would the 4agze (factoring the extra cost/ challenge of obtaining and fitting the 4agze) when you get to that. Anyone know any argument against this??

As Parrot said, stick with the direct swap 16v 4age... and I wouldn't think it's much harder to get the 16v 4age ready for a turbo then it would the 4agze (factoring the extra cost/ challenge of obtaining and fitting the 4agze) when you get to that. Anyone know any argument against this??

Well that was probably more of where I was looking for now is transfering a direct swap motor over and deck it out later