A Pile Question That Has Probably Been Asked A Million Times Before

3lud13

So I have just recieved an 88 ae82 seca in complete stock form (thankyou mom) yes it needs some work and I am doing alot of that myself. But being completely new to not only toyota but import vehicles front wheel drive just to name a couple of the top of my head makes it slightly difficult. A few things I am looking into and looking for info on (yes I have been googling and searching the forum but coming up with alot of conflicting information) I am thinking of upgrading the engine and gearbox and am looking for ideas on options and stuff (I have noticed ae82's came stock with a 16valve twin cam setup or something?) What would be my options for a good engine upgrade.

Also while I'm here writing am wanting to upgrade my rear brakes from drums to discs (they came stock on an ae82 I believe just not mine)

Already I have upgraded half my parts to csx status after visiting a wreckers and getting the dash with tacho digital clock rear half of console along with a few miscelanious items I required. Is there maybe something I should be looking for to pick up on my travels to help this car live for a few more years and many miles.

Members dont see this ad

Personally,if it were me I would just go the 4age upgrade then think about mods to it later.As far as rear disc's are concerned,if they came on that model and you don't have them,then fitting should be a virtual bolt on changeover so not that hard really,just get everything you need from the donor.

I guess anything else you want to do to it is a question of personal choice and money,probably suspension upgrades would be your best option,shocks,springs etc.

If you are willing and capable, locate a cheap rusty AE82 twin cam and swap over all the parts from that to your good condition car. There are very many parts that differ between the cars including looms, fuel systems etc. This will also give you rear disc brakes and from memory vented fronts. By far the easiest option.

As far as keeping it going forever? The EFI cars are maintenance free, other than changing filters and coolant periodically. Just make sure you change the oil regularly and use good quality oil and a genuine Toyota oil filter.

Also while I'm here writing am wanting to upgrade my rear brakes from drums to discs (they came stock on an ae82 I believe just not mine)

Is just a bolt-on upgrade away, pick your poison! :) - Brake upgrades

Personally,if it were me I would just go the 4age upgrade then think about mods to it later.

Agreed :) Which engine

If you are willing and capable, locate a cheap rusty AE82 twin cam and swap over all the parts from that to your good condition car. There are very many parts that differ between the cars including looms, fuel systems etc. This will also give you rear disc brakes and from memory vented fronts. By far the easiest option.

As far as keeping it going forever? The EFI cars are maintenance free, other than changing filters and coolant periodically. Just make sure you change the oil regularly and use good quality oil and a genuine Toyota oil filter.

All of this, true! :yes:

Which engine do you currently have? EFI or carby? If you're not sure, there will be a silver plate riveted to the engine bay firewall which will have this information on it, should be '4A...'

Edit: a "pile" question? :blinks:

Edited by carbonboy

Why do you want the rear discs??

The rear brakes do very little of the work in stopping the car, the weight transfer means the front brakes do 80% I think it is. So front brakes being discs make them more resistant to fade under hard braking, and disc pads are easier to change than drums. That's why race and rally cars went to rear discs, they are very fast to change in a pitstop or a service area, not because they stop better.

However, rear drums use the main brake shoes as the handbrake, so it is a simple one-system setup that has a lot of grunt in the handbrake. Rear discs need a second brake system built into the setup just for the handbrake, usually a little drum setup inside the disc center. I'm not sure what the AE82 uses, but you will get a weaker handbrake and a more complicated system that will cost more to maintain.

It does have a certain "cool" factor though! :laff:

If you have solid discs on the front then front ventilated discs would be a better option.

I'd go over the suspension if I were you, see what you can fit that will help the handling without lowering it ridiculously or making it so stiff it is uncomfortable. Slightly stiffer springs & shocks, stiffer sway bars, check all the bushes for wear, bigger front brakes.... Then a free-flow inlet system and a set of extractors/freeflow exhaust while you wait for an engine change.

edit: (forgot its ae82, not ae92, no 4afe in ae82)

with these corollas getting cheaper, unless you find a cracker of a bargain 4age sx (smashed but in good condition complete car, for under $500), and have the time and ability to completely change everything over (it takes ALOT longer than you think) you are probably better buying a good condition sx, and selling what you have.

ae82's are so old now, if you give it a good service, some good cold air intake, you may find you get an extra few hp just from that!

edit: further to what altezza sais, in road cars, there is alot of brake bias to the front (like 70%+), so rear brakes aren't used as much. if you have more rear bias, if you slam on the brakes while cornering..you may spin around!

Edited by ke70dave

Visit this site

www.ae82.net

I would assume that being an AE82 it would be the 4AC motor.

If you do find a donor car to rip a twin cam out of I would strongly suggest

taking out the ENTIRE wiring loom out. As in take out the lights, rear lights, sterio, air con, EVERYTHING.

Then it is just a matter of swapping it over and not actually doing any re wiring just re placing the loom.

Thats what i did to my AE82 when I did a Silvertop 20v 4AGE conversion.

As dave and altezza says, don't worry about the rear brakes. They do stuff all work. I took my AE82 to a race track

and after a couple of fast laps the front rotors were smoking (like as in they looked like they were on fire) while the rears were only warm.

Edited by Twinky

However, rear drums use the main brake shoes as the handbrake, so it is a simple one-system setup that has a lot of grunt in the handbrake. Rear discs need a second brake system built into the setup just for the handbrake, usually a little drum setup inside the disc center. I'm not sure what the AE82 uses, but you will get a weaker handbrake and a more complicated system that will cost more to maintain.

AE82 Twincams (like all of the rear disc AE Corollas) use the caliper as the handbrake, no internal drum here...

Yes currently my engine is from my understanding just a 4A has a carby and whatnot. I have just changed the suspension not upgraded or anything yet but am slowly looking into that.

OK so a lovely bit of info there thanks guys figured thats my best option to after a sleepless night and many hours of research

Engine 4age(I'm assuming thats the twin cam 16 valve option) though someone did mention a 4agze (whats the difference)

As for rear brakes guess they not needed just thought possibly need to upgrade them with an engine change?

But if I find a donor with the 4age it comes with bigger front ventilated discs too and all of this is from other ae82 models so should all pass roadworthy and be legal quite easy.

I am understanding this correctly aren't I.

Your options sir:

4AGE 16 valve Twin Cam - Big port (found in AE82 Corolla)

4AGE 16 Valve Twin Cam - Small port (Found in AE92/93 SX Corolla)

4AGE 20 Valve Twin Cam VVT "Silvertop" (found In Corolla Levin) Early model

4AGE 20 Valve Twin Cam VVT "Blacktop" (As Above) Late model

4AGZE 16 Valve Twin cam Supercharger - Small port (found in Corolla Levin, MR2)

I'm not %100 sure about what engines came in what car but that should be a rough idea anyway

Yes you have it good. Ignore the 4AGZE. They never came out here in an AE82. Keep it simple and swap over the mechanicals from a donor AE82 twincam. i.e. the first one in Twinky's list.

All the others substantially add complexity.