Ke20 Efi Conversion

RKE020

Hey all,

Figured I'd start a topic on RC about my schools personal project for year 10. My father, brother and I are currently commencing the conversion of our 4k, ke20 2-door corolla, A.k.a, RKE 020, from a 40mm delorto carb to EFI. When it started life it was a bamboo coloured 3k 2-door ke20 with a 2 speed auto box.A 4k was then put in it and also a 5 speed manual box keeping the existing diff gearing. The 4k was by no means stock, we built it with a lumpy camshaft with 109 degrees lobe separation. Double valve springs were also added so that the valves would work properly with the extra lift of the cam. Next step was a single 40mm Delorto carburettor for better injection. We then put 15x6 grey performance mini-light replicas. Soon after my brother gained his license and had been driving it for a year or so when the gearbox started acting up so he bought a 5 speed import box for it. That's pretty much it motor wise. Camber tops were also added to give us negative camber but its still sitting on positive with maximum negative set! also bought a te27 dash with a tacho and the center cluster from Japan and the center cluster only needs to be wired but the tacho works fine. Also bought a new dash pad from Raven. It also has a fairly inconspicuous exhaust on it that is 2 inches and a set of extractors. Also now has 50watt HID's that are extremely bright.

All improvements are being made to a recently re-built 4k with -

1.EFI and ECU.

2.Wiring.

3.Electric fan.

Possibles -

1.Shortened Hilux LSD.

2.Ke70 struts in front to give us negative camber!

3.Reset rear leaves because their almost inverted.

4.New carpet.

Many more to come!

The interior has also had a few bits and pieces done to it. When we bought the car it was bamboo with a creme interior. The first thing that was done was to re-spray the car in Fords BA falcon colour citric acid, which is a greeny/yellow colour but mostly yellow. This was a bare sand back and a weekend and a case of beer for my dads mate who was an ex panel beater. once that was done all trims such as the tail light and, grill, and bonnet louvres were painted in glass black to give a better aspect of the paint to the car. The next thing that was done (as the car exceeds the window tint laws) ambulance tint was applied to all windows by the same guy that painted it. Sony Explod 6x9's in the rear, Sony Xplod 4's in the front a kenwood Bluetooth and USB headunit was also added. Then a 1300watt 10inch Sony Xplod sub powered by a 500watt monoblock amp. All of the stereo parts except the speakers have been removed recently as my brother bought an ED xr8 falcon and wanted his sub and amp. Once the EFI conversion has been completed my dads mate is an ex-panel beater and he will help us remove a few sections of rust and re-paint the car its existing colour and then I will re-build the stereo from ground up, bigger and better. Also green LED strips were added to the front foot wells on a switch for a bit of a wow factor but they are very rarely used or noticed. We also had a set or racing Recaro bucket seats re-trimmed in the same patern as the old front seats and they have been fitted but as the rails are slightly wider the inside front on both seats doesn't align with the bolt hole but when the carpet is removed for the new stuff to be put in we will re-do the hold slightly wider.

So far we haven't been very motivated with this project but as it is my school project and it is due in 4 weeks we really have to get cracking. With very fluent trips to U-Pull-It we have collected 2 JE Camira computers (Because ones mem cal unit was missing) 2 sets of injectors, one wiring loom and a few nick-nacks that may become useful. We had already purchase a Micro tech computer a small turbo and a Plenum chamber and runners. The first problem that occurred was that the runners touched the rocker cover. Dads mate cut and re-welded the plate onto them so that the plenum chamber would clear the rocker cover. We then looked at adding the JE Camira throttle body to the plenum chamber as it has the ports and plugs to suit the computer but the opening of the Camiras throttle body and the plenum chamber were mismatched, the Camiras opening was almost 20mm wider. We then had a friend come around with the Autodesk inventor program so that we could design an adapter for it which was a 4 hour job. We then tried to get it profile cut off of the designs but the company told us that the material was too small for their machine.

We have also tried to combat the fuel pump problem with an in-tank fuel pump but we have decided against it and decided to go with a VL under car fuel pump as it will connect with the fuel lines easier but this will have to happen very soon. We had a pre-existing leak in the petrol tank that was unknown to us until we remove the tan to fit the fuel pump. Its in the very bottom seal and we will have to re-solder this before we put it back in. Next thing on the list is to add a coolant temp sensor to the air conditioned hose that comes out of the front of the motor but we have to find some kind of fitting for it but we will do that later on as it isn't essential. We have also re-tapped a bold that we will weld to the extractors and drill a hole into the extractors for the 02 sensor. The computer is also the next thing to be done, we are not sure whether we are going to mound it in the passengers side kick panel or under the passengers seat but we will do that once we have figured out the wiring and where we will trace it all too.

That's pretty much it so far, I will add some photos of the car before any modification and then some during below -

post-8519-0-16060200-1308475489_thumb.jpg

post-8519-0-73076600-1308475645_thumb.jpg

post-8519-0-51329000-1308475694_thumb.jpg

post-8519-0-59600500-1308475718_thumb.jpg

post-8519-0-55381900-1308475744_thumb.jpg

post-8519-0-64501400-1308475828_thumb.jpg

post-8519-0-38843400-1308475889_thumb.jpg

Will add more info and pictures as time goes by and the due date comes closer! (:

Members dont see this ad

looks great love the colour and wheels. i have a ke-25 have a tacho dash for it, how did you wire your dash up.did the plug just fit straight up did everything work,or did you half to change some wires around. any help would be great thanks.

cheers mick

Hey Mick E

The wiring pretty well matches the original from memory the only thing we had to change was the Head Light switch,

again pretty sure just swapped back to original one.

The centre panel isn't wired up at this stage I have a TE27 wiring harness and may look into modding that at some stage.

Don't like amp meters so might try and swap it to a volt gauge.

Hope this helps.

sweet 20 mate, you interested in selling your carb setup to me ?

Hi frasian,

Haven't decided what to do with the carb setup as yet, also have twin side draught with short manifold, and twin down draught manifold from a sprinter.

Guess I can't make up my mind which ways best hahahaha!!!

If we decide to sell I will let you know....... :yes:

man i want that dash the center bit and the main guages whats it out of?

Hi phil-keto

TE27 brought from japan auction center.

Think it cost about $250 but can't remember exactly, didn't get both at the same time.......

and yes they do look sexy.......... :yes: :yes:

rke020 are they 15 inch mags,if so are they 6or 7 inch, and what back space are they. where did you get lumenition from hope you can help. great ride by the way

cheers mick

Sorry Mick E

missed your earlier question, the wheels are 15x6 not sure of the offset, i will take one off over the weekend and let you know.

The lumenition kit came from Sprint Auto Parts, unfortunately they only do it to suit the Bosch distributor.

The kit is a piece of cake to fit and so far we have had no prob's with it at all.

Did the GORC in January and the old girl never skipped a beat.