4Age Ke55 Rally Car

Andy Roo

Here is mine and a mates project rally car.

Weve only just started the build but would appreciate comments and advise and hopefully we can provide some useful information.

Hope you all enjoy following us on this build.

Started with: 1980 Ke55 Two Door Coupe

4K 5 speed manual

Hope to end up with: 1980 Ke55 Two Door Coupe

4AGE 5 Speed maunal

Roll Cage

Conditioned for rally events

Its a long way to go but here it is as it stands.........

Body is coming along slowly but surely, planning on re-spraying origional colour.

post-5968-0-25452800-1308647334_thumb.jpg post-5968-0-45865300-1308648038_thumb.jpg

Interior is coming along nicely. Rewiring well on its way, Push button start, Dash modified to incorporate tacho and shift light.

post-5968-0-11385900-1308648386_thumb.jpg post-5968-0-99660000-1308648654_thumb.jpg post-5968-0-43007400-1308648780_thumb.jpg

Engine swap havn't started but we are picking up the 4AGE & T50 tomorrow thanks to junior#02.

post-5968-0-80580100-1308648893_thumb.jpg

Hope you like what you see, much much more to come.

Members dont see this ad

There's a slight problem in that you cannot run a 4AG as a PRC rally car. It doesn't fit into classics, and as far as I know there's no AMSAG in S.A.

I suggest a big read of the rule book if you want to take it rallying.

2TG is legal though.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/1964-blueys-rebuild/page__hl__bluey__st__165

should be good hopefully. ive got the rear leafs off at the moment, trying to add an extra one out of a 4x4 hilux to stiffen the ass end up. The centre holes don't line up and ive tried drilling another hole but ofcourse leaf springs are heat treated and hardened and all that so its not working that great. any advise with that minor problem?

ive thought about going to a few places to see if they could drill through it some how, or just forget that idea completely and get whole leaf packs out of a corolla wags.. any suggestions?

Do you want to stiffen it?? It was designed to carry 4people plus a hundred Kg of luggage, and you'll have the car pretty empty.

If you want it stiffer you could replace a leaf with a thicker one from another KE, I'm fairly sure they get stiffer as you go down the leaf pack, shorter and thicker..

Ask a spring company about it.

also that was with stock engine.. don't even try to set it up untill you drive it and feel how it is you will stiffen it up and think this will be fast then drive it and go oh its too stiff all that work i did was pointless i need to go back and make it soft here you might learn something http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/52058-supercharged-4k-motec-injection/

in my ke70 i use for rally its now supercharged it has stock springs and i do everything i can to make it softer and i have won outright twice in a row just my 2c maybe I'm queer but it seems to be better softer

Mitch, your's is a khana car, not a rally car. Having an under-sprung rally car is a good way of dying, possibly quite painfully, about 3 corners into a rally.

My 35 started out with light (100lb) springs in the front, and standard (if a bit soft) springs in the back. Reasonable quality shocks. Took it to a rally in Rockhampton.

It was evil and tried to kill me.

After a bit of experimenting, I ended up with 175 lb springs in the front (still a bit light, 200's would have been better) and standard pack with an added 8mm full length leaf. Bilstein shocks all round.

You should be able to pick up a 8mm new spring for about $40 each, and the spring works will bang a centre hole in where you want with the size you want.

Get the best quality shocks you can afford. Bilsteins are a good start, and are rebuildable.

In comparison, my 25 had 225's in the front, but that was mainly due clearance issues (it had minimal....) I still think I preferred that set up.

Standard swaybar front, no sway bar rear.

You also need camber and castor. As much of both as you can get. I cut more thread onto my castor arms to get more, and had rose jointed LCA's as well. With the LSD I ran 1.5 camber, and from memory, just under 4 castor. If you run a locker, you need more camber. I ran 2.5 in the 25 with the locker, and 3 in tarmac trim.

Note: handling is a personal thing. What worked for one, may have another saying "this sucks balls". I tended to run heavier sprung cars than most people, but not by a whole lot.

Edited by Redwarf

well ive decided to put the standard leafs back in and then go from there, tail shaft and exhaust is out, gearbox is the next thing to come out.

front suspension: ive bought myself some sigma lower control arms and radius rods, still looking for that bigger brake upgrade..

dad suggested buying bigger rotors and callipers and swapping them over, but at the same time my struts are fairly buggered. are there any other struts that will go with the sigma control arms? i was thinking maybe corona struts or something. i also rang about 15 different places in adelaide to try and find some RA40 celica struts, but the cheapest were about $300 for the pair and I'm not sure if they will go with the sigma control arms to still get that bit of camber I'm after.

any suggestions or hints?