Leaf Suspension Query

mlaser

Hi All,

Got a question that I hope might get a response before I head back to the suspension place tomorrow. Got my leafs reset yesterday, was in a mad rush when I picked it up and just jumped in the car and left. After the mess around that caused my rush I inspected the job that was done. The reason I got my leafs reset was because they were flat. I had specified to have the leafs reset, extra leaf for stiffness and a half rebound leaf to deal with tramp. I asked for the height to match the front, and figured that would be pretty self explanatory. My question is why would you ever have the front height higher than the rear? is this a better set up or is it normal/better to always have the ride height the same at the front and at the rear?

edit: after staring at the image for a while now i'm wondering if the wheel arches are actually different front to back, never noticed it before and not sure if i'm just seeing things.

post-91-0-34301900-1309385433_thumb.jpg old pic from a few years ago

post-91-0-52459800-1309385442_thumb.jpg pic taken today

Cheers

after staring at the image for a while now i'm wondering if the wheel arches are actually different front to back, never noticed it before and not sure if i'm just seeing thing

Edited by mlaser

Members dont see this ad

My tarmac setup was about 20mm lower at the back than the front. No real reason, that's just how it ended up. Drove like a gokart.

I'm fiding it really hard to see in that picture what is wrong. It's sitting Maybe (maybe....) 10 mm lower at the rear. I think it looks fine.

Resetting packs after you've added more leaves is a bit of an in-exact science, so cut them a little slack when you go back.

post-33-0-03187700-1309386275_thumb.jpg

most stock cars come with the front a bit higher than the rear.

my s15 is a good 20-30mm higher at the front than at the rear (Standard struts, looking at wheel to guard clearance)

my understanding is that this is done so when you hit the brakes hard, the nose dives and becomes level with the rear.

I'm not sure why this is good, but its about the only explanation i can think of.

though measure from the jacking sil to the ground at both ends, maybe the front guards are bigger so it just appears to be higher...

though measure from the jacking sil to the ground at both ends, maybe the front guards are bigger so it just appears to be higher...

Yup. Measure the sills. It actually looks pretty flat to me, but it might be the picture. Don't go by the wheel arch height, as the front is always bigger than the rear as Dave said.

Yup. Measure the sills. It actually looks pretty flat to me, but it might be the picture. Don't go by the wheel arch height, as the front is always bigger than the rear as Dave said.

yep re-measured and it looks to be spot on. Made the mistake of looking at it as individuals as opposed to as a whole. Reminds me that i shouldnt make judgements at 4:30am before I go to work. What threw me was looking at pics of a mates ke25 which is obviously higher than mine as he has a gap between the tyre wall and the wheel arch on the front and back while i only have a gap between the front wheel arch and the tyre.

This brings up another question, I'd always assumed (i know i know no assumptions) that the reason my front wheel scrubbed on the inner wheel arch when in full lock (closest to driver) was because the rear was too low. Now that I know that there isn't a difference can someone point me in the direction as to why this would be happening?

well the front wheels are turning....so when they turn the wheel edge/extremity gets closer to the inner guard.

how is the width and offset of those wheels compared to standard items? oh and the tyres too. they don't look excessively large though...

probably just a case that the wheels or tyres are just the wrong size for the car?

The front arches are always deeper because that's where the weight is. And ride height is always designed around wheels size and ideal ground clearance. The front always has a larger suspension travel because that's where the initial impact of bumps is taken. It allows heavy impact in the front while the wheels are turned.

I think this 25 looks rad. In fact it's going in my collection.

Edited by GJM85