Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4K Tick

Featured Replies

Hi, Bit of a thread jacking here but could be helpful.

 

I also have a 4k motor and it ticks like crazy, It just sounds like it needs the valves reset. It may do, i haven't checked.

 

It also splutters and farts until it is warm,My choke is connected but its come unstuck at the handle end, so it comes out further before it engages. Could this be the issue.

 

I have a mate whose dads a mechanic, i took him for a spin it it the other day and it has a miss just off idle, like if I'm "over-running down" a hill say it doesn't miss, but if i mash the accelerator it misses then picks up and goes and if i am just coasting with a slight bit of accelerator it will miss and splutter. But it does this warm or cold. He said it could be plugs,leads,rotor button, carby. I replaced the plugs last week, so not them, would it be the leads or dizzy, or should i just look at the carb.

 

I read somewhere that an accelerator pump could be the issue. Could it be this, I'm about to go clean the carb with some cleaner, should i put a carby kit through it?

 

 

Just thought id add this as it seems like i could compare whats wrong with the OP, to hopefully solve bot our issues, but if not let me know and ill start another thread.

 

Cheers Josh

Edited by 71-BEETLE-SEDAN

  • Author

The choke is connected but is automatic and works like a dog sometimes, still trying to figure it out.

 

Well nah it doesn't have a resonator. I do have a hot dog at home but. Could be worth putting it in?

beetle- check the tappets, that could solve your problem if your lucky.

 

Watch under the bonnet as someone works the choke and see how well it works. You can check the accelerator pump too by looking down the carb & opening the throttle. You should see petrol squirt down the throat instantly. Sounds like its not working properly and giving that little flat spot when you accelerate.

 

The leads you can swap with someone else's or just replace. Look for cracks in the dizzy top, black little lines running from the terminals. Wipe the dizzy cap & rotor clean & spray them with CRC or WD40 to stop them shorting out. Coil top also, clean & spray too. Electrical leaks show up at night under a dark bonnet and you can see sparks jumping around. Take the bonnet off and drive it around the block one night!

 

jackson- try the hot dog. Chop out a length of pipe and clamp/weld it in. The auto chokes are a pain, might need a strip & clean and lube, and watch it as the car warms up.

I've got a 5K that I rebuilt, I don't mean Ebay 'rebuilt', I mean completely rebuilt.

 

It has hydraulic lifters and it CLICKS. Always has. Gets worse if run a little low on oil but I've never got it that quiet.

 

So I dunno what it is, I just live with it.

 

Also, the fuel pump gets noisy about 5kms from when you run out of fuel. Yes, I've done it. Many times. Every time I think "oh shit what's that noise". :bash:

 

yes I'm an idiot

  • Author

Interesting development, the tick is definitely more audible when under load... Any ideas???

Any idea when the timing chain was done last?

  • Author

Any idea when the timing chain was done last?

 

No clue really. Do you replace them or tighten them up?

 

 

not just pinging?

 

Not really the same noise... Definitely more of a tick.

cause sometime pinging sounds like a tick and will only happen under load its more of a rattle though

Easy enough to drop a handful of degrees off the timing and see if its any different.

 

Timing chain adjustment is automatic, so when its jumping out wide enough to touch the cover it is really really stretched and rooted, so replacement time.

 

If you can hear it when idling, can you put a timing light on and match it to a cylinder's TDC? Find out if its #1 or #3 or whichever.

  • 2 months later...

are you sure that you don't have the most slightest exhaust leak from between the head and the extractors/exhaust manifold

 

i know i do and it sounds almost identical to the tick.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.