4K Idling Problems

Hey been having trouble with my ke70 lately. My car wont idle, causing me to run my car while having the choke on a little bit and as soon as i take the choke off, it turns off. When I'm driving along and come to the lights to stop, the charge light comes on and it turns off, but i think the charge light comes on because its on when the ignition is on.

I have checked the fuel lines for blockages, because it started to do this when i had less then a quarter of a tank so i thought it could have caught something that was in the bottom of the fuel tank. I then took the air filter off sprayed some carby cleaner in and adjusted the idle a little bit and it was idling without the choke on and it wasnt running too high, but would stall when i reved it. i checked the vacuum lines and noticed it was sucking too much air, plugged them. still having problems... are the vacuum lines supposed to be plugged? i also added additive to the fuel to clean the carby...

i got told there maybe a switch of some sort? because it is reved it seems line it opens something and it stalls... it also doesnt matter whether the car is warm or cold.

i got no idea what is going on. :hmm: any help is appreciated :yes:

Members dont see this ad

I had the same problem. check to make sure the carby is sealed correctly (check its tight) as air could be getting in causing it to stall. or you could take it to a carby joint and get them to fix it.

Is the switch you refer to the slowdown dashpot thing that controls the rate it drops onto idle? On the front of the carb.

I took the adjustable stop out of mine so it did nothing, just looked like it worked, and it idled straight onto the idle screw.

Have you adjusted the idle mixture screw?? You may solve it all by richening it up a whisker.

xris is right, any leaks would make it too lean at idle. Are any of those vac hoses split or cracked?

The switch may be the idle circuit solenoid thingy? Also have you checked it's not a spark issue, those ballast resistors seem to cause a lot of problems. It could be anything really, I've even had problems like this that have just been caused by the wires from the distributor being too close to the main coil lead and suffering form some sort of electromagnetic interference or something. Just start checking stuff like that and maybe replace some of the cheaper components like plugs, leads, condensers, points, ballast resistors etc, they're probably due for a change anyway. Just start eliminating possibilities really.

And I think you should reconnect your vacuum lines, there's a diagram on the underside of your bonnet that shows where they all should go.

Good luck with it, post up the problem when you find it. :y:

• 4 weeks later...