July 26, 201115 yr comment_542542 Hey guys, just in the middle of putting my new engine in my freshly painted engine bay. I have previously noticed that the stock 3k alternator struggles to power and keep charged a sub and amp. And after a quick search I couldn't find anything on differences and modifications needed to install a later model 4k (ke70) alternator.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_542550 put them next to eachother and see if the mounts are the same? Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_542553 may have to change mounting brackets and have to change wiring. Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_542563 Upper bracket is also different. requires the KE70 one to be used with the KE70 alty Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_542606 Lower mount bracket is the same. The top bracket, the sliding one, is different and has a slight offset compared to the early one. You can't easily adapt the early one to suit. A The biggest change is in the electrics, early alternators have an external regulator, later models are internal. It's a very simple upgrade though, you will end up with less wiring to worry about and a cleaner engine bay. Now just a punt, I don't think you will actually get extra grunt from the later one; I reckon they are both 25 A...? Report
July 26, 201115 yr comment_542610 have a crack at doing the 'commodore' alternator conversion if its Bosch.. I did it my self and i'm hopeless with electrics. ask Evan about it I'm sure he can help ya out with somethin :y: Report
July 27, 201115 yr Author comment_542687 Thanks very much, Ill have a sus into the commodore dbr11k, Ill probably just take it to an auto electrician. Cheers Tom Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now