Handbrake not really working...

demuire

Something's wrong with my drums I think, have been since I bought the car. Have had them looked at twice, they still don't work anywhere near as well as I think they should. I've got them tightened as far as they will go (I think they're probably even dragging a bit at the moment), it's down to 1 click... But yeah, because they're really very ineffective I have to yank REALLY hard to get them to lock up at all...

Members dont see this ad
Something's wrong with my drums I think, have been since I bought the car. Have had them looked at twice, they still don't work anywhere near as well as I think they should. I've got them tightened as far as they will go (I think they're probably even dragging a bit at the moment), it's down to 1 click... But yeah, because they're really very ineffective I have to yank REALLY hard to get them to lock up at all...

replaced the handbrake cable?? sounds like what it is

Actually no. It isn't stretching or anything (well, I don't think so anyway), like when I pull the handbrake lever, it doesn't keep coming up with nothing happening, it stops coming up, but no matter how hard I pull it it's just rather ineffective.

But yes, could be the handbrake cable I suppose... Got a spare one in the spare KE30 that might fit Pinky? :|

There is actually such a thing as having the handbrake adjusted up too tight. I keep the rear drums on the Dwarf slackened off somewhat, in order to have handbrake "on tap". This sacrifices pedal somewhat, but means I have handbrake when required. I know Coln in melb had the same problem. Just a thought.

(Apologises for going OT :| )

I suppose could possibly be, but somehow doubt it? If I loosen up the handbrake it's exactly the same, except I have to pull it further before anything happens. When I first bought the car the handbrake was really loose, about 8 clicks to full up I think (but wheels still not locking up). Readjusted it to whatever the Gregory's manual says (5-6 clicks? Something like that?), still same. First motorkhana dropped it to 3 clicks, but with that setting couldn't get the rears to lock up at all during the practice so tightened it again as tight as it will go (1 click) and I can lock it up if I throw the car around enough...

But I can try that anyway, see if it will help any...

*edit* I don't think the adjustment on the handbrake will affect the pedal travel, I've got a cable handbrake...

Might give it another look this weekend and see if I can see anything obvious and loosen the cable and see if that will help any.

Last time I had a look didn't see anything out of the ordinary, cleaned up the drums which didn't look scored or anything (got them machined about 8 months ago maybe), shoes looked okay, roughend them up a bit with sandpaper (have been told a file or wire brush is better), but it didn't help at all...

It still does...I know mine does.

So... the tighter I have the handbrake the less pedal travel I have? I know that when I have my foot on the brake and I pull the handbrake the pedal moves down very slightly...

well when I ajust the shoes anyway...I don't ever have to bother with the handbrake cable tension at all.

I find i slight tap on the foot brake to shift the weight off the rear wheels helps a bit for those handbrake turns. But I'd be interested in some tips to make my handbrake a bit more effective.

I do that when I'm drifting. works well for power-over