Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Engine Swap For 85 Corolla Ae82

Featured Replies

I am having cooling and pinging problems with my 1.6 that has 330kms. I am tempted to swap the whole engine as the 1.6 is harder to find. Any one have any ideas?

mate, hardly enough info to help you out. i can fit a 454 big block V8 into it if you have enough money.!!!!!!!!!!!

I am having cooling and pinging problems with my 1.6 that has 330kms. I am tempted to swap the whole engine as the 1.6 is harder to find. Any one have any ideas?

 

Test/replace thermostat/water-pump, clean out radiator, check/adjust ignition timing...? :hmm:

  • Author

Money is the problem. I have already flush the cooling system and it has good flow and the thermostat I just replaced 3 months ago, as well as plugs and and checked timing. The other thing that worries me about this old engine is half the time on a cold start its very slow turning over and acts nearly stuck. The battery is new. I replaced the starter and no change.

As luck would have it I was at the wreckers with a mate to get a part for his Commodore when I spotted a ae82 corolla write off with 100000k on it. the price for the engine? $135.

  • Author

4AGE should bolt in if the car had a 4A-C. Is this what you want to know??

Yes thank you very much for that.

I am having cooling and pinging problems with my 1.6 that has 330kms. I am tempted to swap the whole engine as the 1.6 is harder to find. Any one have any ideas?

 

4ACs are a dime a dozen especially in FWD layout (every AE8x Corolla except for the SE and Twincam was sold with one, and they sold by the thousands), can't really imagine them being "hard to find". And if they are, then it'll only be harder trying to find a 4AGE or GZE...

when you say, Money is the problem, you realise it will cost more to swap a new motor, than to fix what you have currently ?

and checked timing.

 

The battery is new.

 

on a cold start its very slow turning over and acts nearly stuck.

 

assuming that the engine isnt seized, the slow turning over, combined with new battery and starter motor, sais to me that the timing is wrong. i would be checking it again.

 

and if you reckon its right, try backing it off a bit (retarding it). and see if it improves your cold starts.

 

else possibly the wiring from your battery to your starter isnt in the best shape.

 

the 4ac is such a simple indistructable engine, don't go replacing something that isnt broken if you are short on money!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.