Engine Swap For 85 Corolla Ae82

Irondingo

Members dont see this ad

Money is the problem. I have already flush the cooling system and it has good flow and the thermostat I just replaced 3 months ago, as well as plugs and and checked timing. The other thing that worries me about this old engine is half the time on a cold start its very slow turning over and acts nearly stuck. The battery is new. I replaced the starter and no change.

As luck would have it I was at the wreckers with a mate to get a part for his Commodore when I spotted a ae82 corolla write off with 100000k on it. the price for the engine? $135.

I am having cooling and pinging problems with my 1.6 that has 330kms. I am tempted to swap the whole engine as the 1.6 is harder to find. Any one have any ideas?

4ACs are a dime a dozen especially in FWD layout (every AE8x Corolla except for the SE and Twincam was sold with one, and they sold by the thousands), can't really imagine them being "hard to find". And if they are, then it'll only be harder trying to find a 4AGE or GZE...

and checked timing.

The battery is new.

on a cold start its very slow turning over and acts nearly stuck.

assuming that the engine isnt seized, the slow turning over, combined with new battery and starter motor, sais to me that the timing is wrong. i would be checking it again.

and if you reckon its right, try backing it off a bit (retarding it). and see if it improves your cold starts.

else possibly the wiring from your battery to your starter isnt in the best shape.

the 4ac is such a simple indistructable engine, don't go replacing something that isnt broken if you are short on money!