Subaru_Kid's Ae82 Tin Can - Parting Out

Subaru_kid

Soft ;)

Aha I kid :)

I figured it'd just be better than what was previously happening with the lines pissing out everywhere. Would be a possible power saving, too.

That's so good for a streetable setup mate. Going to run the 'new' rubber next time you assault the racetrack?

Sorry for asking so much chatter, just genuinely taken an interest in this car.

Members dont see this ad

hahaha shuddup! :P

Well the lines are all sorted and are all brand new, just the reservoir leaks now, I may invest in a PS cooler aswell to help it leak less when it boils on the track.

Yeah it is :D I'm stoked with how good a daily it is when in street form, with the daily rims on and the full interior its a pretty comfy car even with the coilies.

I got a 1:49 before with the stocko bigport and KU36's, plus the car still had AC in it. SO it now has more power, less weight, more grip, a few more suspension mods since then, so it should have dropped the time a bit.. plus some more things coming will help too ;)

S'all good mate! :)

Makes me want a tin can even more :)

What kind of cost has this car come to, in current trim? All good if you don't feel like sharing, just wouldn't mind a rough idea (off p's I'd happily do an engine conversion in an auto one)

Any plans for forced induction? Imagine how much more go you'd have down the straight ;)

Some vanity shots, the daily wheels are back on for daily duties and the KU36's have now worn out :)

imgp7500.jpgimgp7507.jpgimgp7536h.jpg

Put new driveshafts in, theyre both reco'd AE92 SX items (sorry only got one pic)

imgp7534.jpg

And some better piccies of the catch can and motor...

imgp7545.jpgimgp7546.jpgimgp7550l.jpg

What kind of cost has this car come to, in current trim? All good if you don't feel like sharing, just wouldn't mind a rough idea (off p's I'd happily do an engine conversion in an auto one)

Any plans for forced induction? Imagine how much more go you'd have down the straight ;)

Id rather not say the exact cost, but the car has more than tripled in price...

Hmm... I think you would be better off with a 7AFE as the auto will need more torque and less revs. A 7AFE in one of these would move especially if you up the compression a bit more :)

I wont be going down the Forced induction route, I love the responsiveness of the motor all too much, and the smallport is a fair bit quicker than the bigport, and there are still a few mods to come on it :) Ill probably go forced in the next project ;)

Edited by Subaru_kid

That gives me a ballpark figure :)

You're probably right! I'd be even better off buying an RX impreza for about what i'd spend on a tincan, which would do basically the same thing, except without the fun factor.

Those pictures look awesome man, has the catch can been a real good move?

That gives me a ballpark figure :)

You're probably right! I'd be even better off buying an RX impreza for about what i'd spend on a tincan, which would do basically the same thing, except without the fun factor.

Those pictures look awesome man, has the catch can been a real good move?

If youre getting a Subaru, get an RS (bug eye or newer) and the only thing to do is add a rear sway bar. They handle well once you dial out the horrible understeer! plus you can put them sideways fairly easily once you know how to drive them.. On the dirt the stocko suspension is flawless :)

Catch can doesnt make much of a difference, there is a touch less smoke out the back when you rev it, so it runs cleaner i guess...

Also forgot to mention that I found the culprit of the knocking coming from the right suspension, the ball joint was loose where it connected to the control arm :|

Also possible wheel bearing failure, there is heaps of road noise coming through! but no play in the hub from what i can tell, can anyone shed some light on this?

Edited by Subaru_kid

Hey Kid-Ae, I was trolling some other forums and came across a AE82 with 4AGE 20v in manual form for $800.00, had 17"rims and body and inteior were fair, but with a freshen up it would of made a great little track hack, Subaru_Kid's car isn't even on the same page as that other AE82 but it's possible to build something for the track on a budget.

Justin, where did you get that awesome catch can from? is it a "TOMs" one or is that just a sticker ;)

Do it! Track car would solve the transmission problems that you and your missus have

Sorry to dissapoint mate, but its a Tim's catch can ;) haha yeah its just a few stickers my mate put on when he had it on his old AE92. I think it looks great :)

Edited by Subaru_kid

Well Ben I didnt have someone in the back seat, nor do i have back seats so taht wasnt the case. Also, God gifted me with long arms so I used them.. I was damn scared of scraping my camera :lol:

Hmm... well i filled up fuel, but it turns out its on its way to breaking again, as my wheel bearings are roaring and my exhaust is leaking :D which means new hubs and bearings, longer studs, spacers and a new exhaust system which actually sounds good :D