Ae92 Dizzy Fault

s0oty

Hi guys

Can anyone help please?

I've just had to rebuild my dizzy to replace the seal inside it.

Now I've got it back together and in the vehicle but it won't rev now. (I did mark the dizzy etc before removing it and have got it back in the exact same position.)

It will idle, but only just (450-500rpm). As soon as I touch the throttle it dies.

I could only guess the air gap for the pick ups in the dizzy (somewhere about 18-20thou at a guess), So have I got them wrong? Or is there another issue?

Does anyone know the air gap for the pick ups?

Cheers

edit: Sorry, I should've mentioned it is in a AE92 FX-GT Corolla

Edited by s0oty

Members dont see this ad

So I've found out that the timing is out.

I've tried to get the dizzy in the right spot, but I'm either 1 tooth advanced or 1 tooth retarded. Arrrrrgh!!! :bash:

I've also removed the top timing cover and found the cams have adjustable gears ( :dance: ), but when they are on the timing marks the crank is 5 degrees advanced.

I can't see how with me just removing the dizzy the timing has changed. It was running sweet-as before. Now, just since this dizzy job, I can't get the timing right :hmm: .

I had originally marked the dizzy body to head, and rotor to dizzy body so I could get it in the exact same spot.

But now all I get is 1 tooth + or -.

Cheers TRD ke70.

Yeah I did have the gear off. I did mark it before I removed it and put it on in the same position (I think..... :blush: )

I might have to remove it and try it on the other way round.

Thanks for the air gap setting. I couldn't find it in our workshop manual so I just winged it. At a guess I got it at around 18thou or there abouts.

Well I removed the dizzy again and rotated the drive gear 180 degrees.

Much better now! Cheers TRD ke70. :y:

I didn't think that the gear position would make a difference, but it does.

Still don't know why it has adjustable cam gears on a stock engine. Someone must have been playing with it at some stage.

I have some spare std cam gears (parts from rally car), and I will put them on when I replace the timing belt etc.

Still don't know why it has adjustable cam gears on a stock engine.

Good upgrade for a stock WRX as from the factory the gears are slightly out to the timing marks, go a bit harder when you get it right. Cam timing also goes out if the head's had a bunch machined off it, though more likely is your guess of someone playing around. Might have swapped in the stock cams and taken away the piggyback ECU before they sold it.