Rust In The Canals...

CorollaBenny

Members dont see this ad

The worst will b inside the channel as stuff gets trapped in there. The inner vertical face is part of the car, which will rust also. The curved outer face is the channel you buy, so that ends up brand new.

All you can do is clean the rust off with a wire brush in a power drill and patch any holes, then treat the metal with some rust kill product. Give it a couple of anti-rust coats of paint (no-one sees it!) and then weld on the new channel.

If you want it to last more than 15 years you could rustkill spray the inside afterwards to catch the weld spots where the paint gets burned off. The companies who do that drill a small hole in the back of the channel under the rear guard and spray anti-rust wax in with a long tube that sprays outwards. Then they just put a rubber grommet in the hole.

• Upvote 1

It is those holes ur alking about, in the old channels... but I'm only going to have it one or two years after I'm turned 18, and now I'm 17, so it's not so important to do a job to make the car last for 15 years. But I will try to kill the rust inside after taking of the channels. thanks

Either a grinder ti strip the paint in the dents and to clean the rust out of the rusty bits,

or paint stripper and a Linbide tungsten scraper to strip all the paint back to steel.

I used the stripper & scraper-

http://www.rollaclub...the-girls-ke70/

Where the car had tiny rust spiderwebs under the paint I took it back to bare steel & treated it with rustkill fluid. I filled a couple of dents in the front guard that hadn't been done very well while I was at it. The rest of the paint I sanded back and then undercoated the whole panel.

post-7544-0-52443300-1326365718_thumb.jpg