Rust In The Canals...

CorollaBenny

Hi, I'm from Norway, so my english is not the best but, I'll try to explain:

I hava just recently bought a Corolla as my first car, but have seen some rust in the canals on both sides, it's so rusty it have became a nice little hole in there... Any1 know a really fast and easy way to fix this? I'll try to upload some pictures of it here later if I can.

This is my car:

post-15014-0-34981500-1324758043_thumb.jpg

post-15014-0-71575400-1324758109_thumb.jpg

post-15014-0-63736900-1324758120_thumb.jpg

post-15014-0-43218900-1324758129_thumb.jpg

post-15014-0-98791800-1324758137_thumb.jpg

As you may can see, it's some tape and a bit rust on the hood too, some1 knows how to fix this verry easy too?

Members dont see this ad

Hi Benjamin, welcome to Rollaclub! Your English is a lot better then my Norwegian.......

The only thing I didn't understand was canals.

If the rust has gone through, your only option is to cut back to good metal and weld in a patch. It really depends on where this is as to whether you do that or replace the panel if that's feasible. The bonnet looks pretty bad, and I am guessing is worse on the inside of the panel. If I was you I would look for a replacement hood. One advantage of a white Corolla, it should be easy to find. A replacement will be easier and probably cheaper than trying to repair it.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I thought "gutters" but they don't really have them. Then maybe "channels"... door sills?

Take a photo of the rust in the canals for us Benjamin.

As parrot said, grind the paint back around the rust to clean steel then weld in a new piece is best. Second best is to grind it back then fibreglass over it. If there is any rust left around the hole treat it with a rust-kill product, one of the phosphoric acid liquids.

If the rust is just on a flat surface with no holes you can use paint stripper and a scraper to get the paint off and treat it with rust-kill, the paint over it.

Good luck with it, Norway is hard on cars, quite the opposite to inland Australia where nothing rusts.

• Upvote 1

White is a very easy colour to work with, so you're lucky :)

Watch a few youtube videos on the subject, and give it a try.

You'll be amazed the results you can achieve with simple equipment...

For instance:

post-1955-0-37574400-1324845306_thumb.jpg

post-1955-0-98069100-1324845401_thumb.jpg

This car was badly faded, right down to the undercoat.

All I used was sandpaper, colour matched paint, clear coat, and a rotary polisher.

Repainted the entire right side for about $60.

• Upvote 2

nah... Benny, dildos are for Dildos! Don't worry about a gearknob unless its a leather one from a BMW/Merc with a Toyota badge mounted on! Actually, ours is a 4WD=FWD knob from a Tercel 4WD!

Can you buy new channels?? Some cars you can, then you drill out the spotwelds on the old ones and pull them off, rustproof the car floorpan itself and weld the new one on. Its much better as the rust always goes much further than you think. When you're done you can fill them with expanding foam like in 7shade's post, it stiffens them up and stops water getting in.

• Upvote 1

To x-mas I got a rust protection mass that I'm going to use on the channels:

post-15014-0-54579400-1325153057_thumb.jpg

I'm going to cut off the part with the rust, wield on a plate, and then use the rust protection over it, it is black, and the channels are black, so this should be good, don't u think?

Edited by CorollaBenny