5K Questions! Won't idle, threads merged.

5ksev

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, this is the second time i have asked you to consider posting in your other older threads rather than create a new one every time you have a new question. I've merged your two threads and upped your warning level.

Like I already said, Forget trying to get an 800rpm idle without a recurve.

Now:

Did you time it with a timing light?

Have you had it dyno tuned.

Seriously, you must have it tuned by a professional.

Edited by philbey

Dude, this is the second time i have asked you to consider posting in your other older threads rather than create a new one every time you have a new question. I've merged your two threads and upped your warning level.

Like I already said, Forget trying to get an 800rpm idle without a recurve.

Now:

Did you time it with a timing light?

Have you had it dyno tuned.

Seriously, you must have it tuned by a professional.

yeah i know.. i wanted them merged together like this, so, thanks..and sorry

havnt done timing light, but ill get onto that today.. also, havnt had it tuned due to everywhere being shut for x-mass.. I'm just trying to eliminate all the little things for now.

manifold vac not ported vac Evan?

Got that timing light yet 5K?? That will be the fasted way to sort this out.

nah notyet.. I'm going to run down and get it soon! also saying the dizy is retarted.. i took it off to get the cam out, but i put it back in the same spot as when i got it ( there was a bolt groove on it )

Man just because you got it back in the same spot doesn't mean you have the dizzy in the correct spot, you can very easily get a tooth out on the drive gear which will allow the car to run, but it can run like shit.

Timing light will help you sort this out, but you can work out if you are in the ball park without one. Pull the rocker cover off and rotate the motor until you see the #4 rockers begin to move together. Both the inlet and exhaust will move simultaneously. This means that piston #1 is at top dead centre.

Now look at your crank pully, your mark should be near the timing markers.

Now, mark with a txtta on your dizzy, not the cap but the actual dizzy itself. Put the mark directly in line with the connection to number 1 plug lead.

Now pull your cap off and see how your rotor aligns with the mark that you made. While looking at this, rotate your motor back and forth,you will get a feel for how that rotor should line up with the mark. Crudely, your mark should line up the rotor and your crank pulley should be somewhere between 0 and 10 degrees. You should be able to tell if your a tooth out one way or another.

Man just because you got it back in the same spot doesn't mean you have the dizzy in the correct spot, you can very easily get a tooth out on the drive gear which will allow the car to run, but it can run like shit.

Timing light will help you sort this out, but you can work out if you are in the ball park without one. Pull the rocker cover off and rotate the motor until you see the #4 rockers begin to move together. Both the inlet and exhaust will move simultaneously. This means that piston #1 is at top dead centre.

Now look at your crank pully, your mark should be near the timing markers.

Now, mark with a txtta on your dizzy, not the cap but the actual dizzy itself. Put the mark directly in line with the connection to number 1 plug lead.

Now pull your cap off and see how your rotor aligns with the mark that you made. While looking at this, rotate your motor back and forth,you will get a feel for how that rotor should line up with the mark. Crudely, your mark should line up the rotor and your crank pulley should be somewhere between 0 and 10 degrees. You should be able to tell if your a tooth out one way or another.

okay so i got #1 to TDC, and its at 5* on the pulley with the dizzy in this position.. ( i circled the mark )

post-14922-0-58140800-1325298164_thumb.jpg

True, I. Not trying to get him to t e it, merely diagnose how likely it is that he's a tooth out. A timing light will tell, it there are many cases where people can't get the timing right because there's a rampage of different pulleys and timing covers and a mismatch wreaks havoc for new customers!