5K Questions! Won't idle, threads merged.

5ksev

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the spark timing is at, I'll hopefully buy a timing light tomorrow.. Also, I remember reading somewhere you can only get 8* out of the stock dizzy? Not sure if mine is stock or after market.. If someone could let me know, that would be good!

( will upload a pic in a min )

pics of internals please. looks like a 5k elec one from the vac unit

will get some tomorrow! :y:

also too, does anyone happen to have an image of how my vac lines connect up? since the day i got it, it had 2 little things coming off my what i think is, the thurmo housing? with nothing blocking them.. but yet its run fine? i just want to tidy them up... so yeah if anyone has a diagram or an image, that would be good!

i don't run any vac advance. it makes my idle higher and timing goes thru the roof at idle.

its used for fuel eco on the fwy. i don't use it

edit - did you check your idle jets? what jet size you running?

Edited by Evan G

Clean out your jets in your carb. I wouldn't worry about it until you set the timing up correctly as that could very likely be causing it. You're stock dizzy can be set at any degree of advance at idle. That is why you twist it so that you can have the ignition timing coming exactly when you want it to maximise power and fuel economy. When you say 8 degrees that is what Toyota recommend for fuel economy and emmissions. You can set it at whatever you thinbgs works best. Generally 10-15* BTDC. I found about 13 degrees BTDC was best. Are you sure your cam timing is correct? All marks/dimples lined up?

Yeah pretty sure cam timing is right, as it drives perfect..

I lined it up dot to dot, then with head off I turned it over by crank, and as it #1 would go down, the exhaust lifter would lift.. So to fix this, I rotated the cam either 7 or 9 teeth, ( 1/4 of a full rev ) and by doing this, it then set the cam timing to, exhaust open whilst piston coming up, and shuts at tdc, then inlet is open whilst it goes back down.. Then does full combustion part..

Long story short, I'm fairly confident on the timing.. I'll speak to my mate ( mechanic ) tomorrow, and see if he has any ideas