Faq: How To Disk Brake A Ke1X

Jono.C

Hi,

Great write up with pics :)

I did this mod to my KE15 a few years back now good investment.

Id add a few points but.

When I did mine I got the KE15 master cylinder re sleeved. Was about $60 And again Kickin 5K is correct KE10s is a different master cylinder I had this in the KE15 as it was disk front stock so re-sleeved and works awesome and when you run single circuit brakes I want to know all items are in good order.

Next thing I did was new brake lines. I went braided lines front and one on rear old lines were so perished and dead again this was about $70 ish from memory for 3 lines all fittings made to my req. lengths. Shop did a good deal there so worth it to.

Also an option for the owners of KE10's that want to keep 110 stud pattern can use KE20 hubs and bolt on the disk rotor to those hubs. Again I had disk front from factory so I got KE70 discs attached them to KE15 hub (pretty much same as KE20 hub) and put that on. This retained my 110 stud pattern and I just buy KE1X front wheel bearings.

But for a while now I have just wound rear hand brake out mmmm a fair whack... To help stop rears locking and they still do.

I've looked at some options like:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WILWOOD-BRAKE-PROPORTIONING-BIAS-VALVE-WIL260-8419-/180718842764?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a13aeb38c

Or

Though about going to wrecker grabbing a hilux valve off diff and making a locking mechanism for the lever so it becomes an adjustable valve.

Think the wilwood option would be the easiest. Has anyone else done this also or have ideas here as a KE1X when rears lock will spin ass around faster than you can imagine......

Cheers

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

Hi there Jono Thomas dad here Stuart ; great write up as every one has said and keep the good work coming. This is very similar to what i did to Thomas ke11 but we used ke38 wagon discs with girlock calipers which may help give our fellow members more range,it was as easy as you explained we used the ke11 inner bearing &the 38 outer and all bolted up perfect.As you can see in Thomas build thread i also built a disc brake rear end using 82Nissan skyline hatchback rmr30 rear disc brakes it was a fairly easy bolt on conversion.I put on a new dual master brake cylinder IBS brake parts (part no IBS-jb1350) and it all works fine.But we are now in the progress of getting it all engineered as the car was defected for the brake upgrade which will give us a chance to get the front end modifications done at the same time.Anayway great work as usual Jono and we will keep you all updated on the engineering of Thomas car in his ride thread.

Cheers:- Stuart.

Hi there Stu ;just how rare are the ke10 with the disc brake front ends as we have one down the back as our donor car????.

Edited by TOMMYS Ke 11