4K Starting Issues?

Hazzard

hey guys,

So I'm having trouble at the moment starting my 4k.After sitting overnight, it will turn over first click. after running the car, and then turning it off after say 10 minutes, the starter motor will tick, after two or three times of turning the ignition, then it wont even tick at all. first i thought it was the starter motor, so i replaced that, checked all the wires running to it, and they were fine. but it is still having these problems.

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Members dont see this ad

Definitely a flat battery...try another battery in it first maybe,..then check out either getting a new battery,or maybe you can fix your old one by filling it with water to the lines in the battery,(must cover the metal plates inside..

Maybe a shop can put more acid in it?

Not sure...call a battery shop to ask,after trying someone else's battery in the car firs

Hang on... Are you saying it starts fine first thing in the morning, but won't start after driving it for 10minutes??

.After sitting overnight, it will turn over first click
after running the car, and then turning it off after say 10 minutes, the starter motor will tick, after two or three times of turning the ignition, then it wont even tick at all.

That doesn't sound like a dud battery, as starting first thing in the morning is much harder than starting afterwards during the day.

Was it just another random starter motor you fitted??

Hang on... Are you saying it starts fine first thing in the morning, but won't start after driving it for 10minutes??

That doesn't sound like a dud battery, as starting first thing in the morning is much harder than starting afterwards during the day.

CCA, once the battery is warm it loses it's power delivery, a half dead battery will often give good power delivery the first time you want it then you let it sit and it restores itself.

yea twas a random starter.

Tried another fully charged battery. still nothing. the starter wont even click or start it anymore.

so i went and had a look at a mates K series repair manual. it says that there is a fuseable link somewhere between the ignition, and the starter. checked the fuse box under the dash, and the one behind the battery, but neither of them have a fuse for a starter. does anyone know if theres a third fuse box in a 70 panno?

No, but there ae fusible links coming off the starter motor and heading nto the general wiring.

They are just coloured bits of wire that melt easily, and the power to the car goes Battery-Starter-Fusible links-Main power circuits.

One of mine had been degraded by the exhaust manifold so I pulled them out, cleaned them up & resoldered one.

They are the 3 curvy shapes by the letter "C" in this diagram, although I remember them as comng off the battery +ve at the starter itself.

post-7544-0-78820800-1325483556_thumb.jpg