Matty'S Ae71 Spirit

matt_ae71

Hi everyone, Bit of a noob intro, I'm matt from the Sunshine Coast and here is my spirit that i've had for about 6 months now.

I've been slowly doing little bits and pieces to get this old girl back on the road. I've mostly just been doing body work and repaired a few little rust spots here and there ( the usual locations, though not too bad really )

You might have also spotted the front lip which is a kamei item from little red spirit, though it has been cut down on the ends and 2 inches shaved off the top so it doesnt hang too low or look to big and goofy.

I have also got a genuine nardi steering wheel, some TE72 wing mirrors (the boxy ones with chrome bits on them) and a set of genuine Hayashi street 13x6's - all to go on after roadworthy.

Hope you like it! Thanks.

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Pics of Hayashis as requested:

hayshi2.jpg

hayshiiiiis.jpg

The wheel dimensions are: 13x6j, staggered offset, fronts are +13mm and rears +7mm. No tyres yet, but planning on running 205/60's, as I quite like the 'fat meats' look of the 80's haha. That and there's not really any point in trying to run a stretch on a 6 inch wide wheel.

Plans are to keep this old girl a street car so nothing too hectic. No stripped out interior or anything, will be a daily driver/ daily touger haha. I live around the Sunshine Coast hinterland which has some epic mountain drives. Once she's on the road she'll get the nardi, wing mirrors and hayashis, as well as some suspension for the time being. I have a set of spare KE70 struts that I have started cutting down. I will fit short strokes and the usual home made coilover kit from otomoto (threaded sleeves, spring seats etc etc..) Short strokes will be from a MK1 golf...not yet sure if i will go for koni reds or just stick with some good old monroe GT gas. Further down the track hopefully she will cop the usual 4ag conversion...most likely a 16v, or possibly GZE if I can afford it. For now the stock 4ac runs pretty well!

• 1 month later...

Very Nice Spirit Matt. Love the Hayashi's and the fatness of the tyres on them. :y:

Plans sound very cool. All the best with it. :)

Josh :cool:

Thanks! I am enjoying the fat meatyness of it too! As much as I love the wide wheel, neg offset, stretch and poke style...I find I am loving this fat meat look. It's also not done too often anymore so even though it's an old way of doing things, it looks fresh haha. I tried the 205's on the front and they fit without any worries which is awesome! It kind of reminds me of the old 80's Australian street machine style but applied to a Japanese car with Japanese wheels.

Edited by matt_ae71

Hi everyone, cheers for the comments! She certainly looks way minter in photos lol, but yeah she's pretty tidy....enough for a daily anyway. Here is some good photos taken in the sunshine but without the wheels on....

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

A couple with my friend's original condition KE25

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

A couple of nice arses....

IMG_0516.jpg

Thats it for the time being....until my next pay check comes in haha! Plans are to get two more tyres so I can get the full set of hayashis on there...She also needs a steering rack replacement which is underway. I have bought a 2nd hand rack but just need to put some new rack ends and tie rod ends on it then bung her in. Apart from that the front rubber brake lines need replacing and a there is a hole that needs patching up in the muffler and she should be good to go for roadworthy and rego!

Finally got round to getting two more tyres today. Decided I CBF with 205/60's for the front because they are too hard to find and too expensive and everyone who works at tyre shops are wankers. Long story short, I got a couple of cheapo 175/70's from the bridgestone shop who were well priced and had good service! A very hard thing to get from tyre shops these days....Anyway they actually look pretty good! I am happy to have the full set of wheels on finally haha... I also put the kamei sticker back on the kamei after having it on the rear window for a while...

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

Here is some interior photos for those who requested...nothing special really...front seats are ripped...the passenger is collapsed...centre console box is missing its lid and is broken around the shifter area...(if anyone has a centre console in this colour swing us a PM yo) but on a good note , although a little grubby, the back seat is not torn and all of the dash lights and instrumentation etc still works! The previous owner had done a shitty stereo install...and then a shitty stereo De-stall to top it off lol. I am going to try and get the factory radio working with some 6x9's in the factory location on the back parcel shelf..

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg