Little Gremlin In The Ke70

fkj

I put the ke70 back together after months of neglect and a few little electrical problems have come up.

When I put the brake on, the indicator lights are coming on, and the brake lights doing nothing, I've fiddled around a bit with connections, but no luck. Any ideas anyone?

Also whenever I put the car into reverse, the dash shorts out, and the fuse has to be replaced. I don't have even the slightest clue what could be causing this.

Members dont see this ad

Get a multimeter, $10 from Jaycar...

Check that the bulbs can earth out at less than 10ohms. If they can't, the earth wires need sorting. usually the connections get dirty & rusty.

Check that 12v is actually going to the right bulb when you put the brakes on.

Check that the wires for the reverse light on the gearbox don't earth out, and one of them does carry 12V when the ignition is on.

They don't sound difficult problems, but they can be time-consuming to check everything.

sounds like you are missing a ground.

check up near the right headlight, there is a ground that is bolted to the chassis via a 10mm bolt.

i missed this once when doing something, all hell broke loose in my electricial system.

if this isnt a problem, look for other ones around.

Fixed, cheers, it was that ground :)

But as soon as that was fixed, all hell broke loose again, yesterday my headlights died, and now when I turn them on there's a loud sorta clicking noise, and no light, I was thinking maybe blown relay, am I on the right track?

Yes, that sounds like a relay.

But why is it starting to work, then stopping?? See if it has constant power when you turn the lights on, and make sure it has the earth it needs. I suppose its the horrible "earth back through the dipswitch" problem. You might ahve to study the relay diagram and run a wire to earth to see if it works then.

If the dash lights die when you use the indicators don't worry. That's not a problem, its a KE70 character!

Yes, that sounds like a relay.

But why is it starting to work, then stopping?? See if it has constant power when you turn the lights on, and make sure it has the earth it needs. I suppose its the horrible "earth back through the dipswitch" problem. You might ahve to study the relay diagram and run a wire to earth to see if it works then.

If the dash lights die when you use the indicators don't worry. That's not a problem, its a KE70 character!

It's not starting to work, then stopping. It's not working at all, turn headlights to on position, relay or something clicks really loudly, no light.

What's this "earth back through the dipswitch" problem?

Dash lights aren't dying from indicators, yet haha.