Ae93 Sx Hatch +Bonus Dragon*

orangeLJ

Well, hope you are all sitting down, this one will make you queezy....

2011-12-28_20-16-49_263.jpg

Picked this up reasonably cheap just before christmas, has a few issues and had a small bump in the PS front (nothing major, all superficial)

The story that came with it, was that the blokes GF had found out he was cheating on her, so she took to his airbrushing with her car keys, resulting in this-

2012-01-21_18-28-02_197.jpg

Then it was sold onto the person we bought it from, who's "friend" told her he would have a look at getting it running for her and proceeded to take all the panels off, bars off, lights out etc etc. So she was stuck with a pulled apart car and NFI what to do. (hence the first photo with no front end)

soooo long story short, I was on the look out for a cheap car for my father in-law (In a hard spot financially, so trying to help him out, needed a car etc) so this fits the bill.

The car needed-

front bar

Headlight

indicator

Strut bolts

Standard airbox (K&N is for sale)

aircon tensioner and mount bracket

standard steering wheel (momo is for sale, same with gearknob)

Legal sized wheels ($300 for the 17" chrome ones, have good tyres)

So far Ive fixed the front suspension (someone had put a set of wreckers struts in it, presumably when the original owner on-sold the car, he took the decent springs and struts out) but the wally/ies didnt put all the bolts back in, so the strut was basically free to wobble around as it was not fully fixed to the hub assembly....

The SX front bar was trashed, its too bent to even pull the bathtub trick on, so I made the decision to bin it. I originally belted the PS front guard out and got it resonably straight with the dolly, however found a sedan fron guard for $30 at the wreckers, which is cheap enough that it made panel beating the gaurd anymore look like a bad idea.

So after flicking around looking for someone wrecking a hatch, I came up with nothing,but did find a twincam.org.au member (meadan) selling seca bits. So I made the hour long trip out to his joint and picked up a seca front bar (green) and a set of seca headlights (wasnt too sure if they would fit but was willing to give it a go)

Anyway, pictures do most of the talking from there on in, seca headlights didnt work out (lesson learnt) and the last pics are as it sits ATM.

Broken aircon bracket and missing tensioner

2012-01-21_18-26-12_248.jpg

wheels-

IMG_6710-1.jpg

interior-

2012-01-21_18-26-38_511.jpg

2012-01-21_18-26-45_694.jpg

IMG_6740-1.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

Flames...

2012-01-21_18-25-59_509.jpg

New guard

2012-01-21_18-27-43_562.jpg

no go on the seca headlight-

2012-01-21_18-27-52_51.jpg

Paint stripped the bonnet (key scratches were bare metal, so no choice)

2012-01-24_18-29-45_685.jpg

2012-01-24_18-30-02_333.jpg

dog in a box-

2011-12-26_19-11-47_413.jpg

some minor filler work (replacing what was already there basically)

2012-01-28_11-18-25_132.jpg

Originally I was planning to just blow some paint over in the yard (done it before, not perfect, but it works) however the wind came up pretty bad, so I towed it home and sat it under the carport for a week

IMG_6706-1.jpg

My mate generally paints all his shit in acrylic, he asked if he could have a go with 2pack, I said why not! haha.

2012-02-04_10-23-05_671.jpg

2012-02-04_10-22-56_468.jpg

and the results (obviously guards are not on! haha)

2012-02-05_10-38-57_882.jpg

2012-02-05_10-38-48_388.jpg

Should have it back together this weekend, doing the aircon bracket and replacing the cast headers (ʞ©$ɟed flange) with another set and bolting the guards on this satdy.

Should have rego by the end of next week if everything goes to plan.

Father in law is getting it free of charge for 12 months, after that its back to me to either sell off or keep and have a bit of fun with.

Edited by orangeLJ

Members dont see this ad

bullshit this car used to live next to my old boss's house back before the hole cheating shit happened that story is true btw ha last time i saw that car it had slid off the road into a ditch not much damaged was all grass ,havent seen it for a good yr or more tho such a small world ha , i was never a fan of the airbrushing eiether tho and i don't think i ever seen it leave the driveway till shit hit the fan and they moved out of the house , its coming out realy good tho man well done

haha, small world.

Its basically all back together as of last night.

Missing a few small things (couple specific screws, indicator/parker corner light globe holders, bumper bar bolts)

But aside from that, its been a piece of piss.

Still searching for a stock airbox to beg/borrow/buy to get it through the blue slip (would worry me if I was taking it to a friend, but I'm not using any more of my favours up on this car! haha)

Fartcan is on the chopping block this weekend, as is the broken bracket.

came up really good man, whatever possessed the guy to get airbrushed dragons (or airbrushed anything for that matter)?

I have no idea hey! I'm guessing too much pot/meth and some of those dragon statues that stoners always seem to have around their houses? haha

the dragon was reasonably well done (little bit dodgy, but showed some skill)

the flames were just terrible though.

The dog in a box pic made me feel better after seeing those wheels & the airbrushing. :D

You've done great man, she's coming up a treat! :y:

If you like box dog.... well... you'll love

LASER DOG!

2011-06-07_19-45-57_648.jpg

You forgot the gayness on the mirrors! :o

Mirrors will probably go black, but definitely not staying like they are! haha, the grille is the same too!

Getting closer to having the panel work all done,

2012-02-08_06-34-57_291.jpg

drivers door gap is basically spot on

2012-02-08_06-35-08_70.jpg

passengers (to be expected) is slightly wonky, it was 9pm when I was done fitting up, so will leave stuffing around with panel gaps till its back together and registered.

2012-02-08_06-35-42_859.jpg

Need to bolt the front bar up (just sitting on atm)

Then some inner guard plastics can go in.

I still need to paint the mirrors and the front grille, but aside from that and soem minor brush touch-ups I want to do, the outside is done (obviously the rear half needs a buff and polish too)

Air con bracket and exhaust this weekend... what great fun I'm in for!

Rego next week if all goes well.

Will take some more photos tonight, but its now on the 14" wheels, interior is clean and Ive rust converted and painted the rust around the screen.

Ordered a new rear muffler today (family used to have an exhaust shop, so still order at cost price) will hack the cannon off with the oxy and fit it on the weekend.

Need an Airbox pretty badly though its the main hold up at this stage.

Good progress on this little rocket, the windscreen profile on the hatch and sedans are notorious for rust formation. As this car looks clean I'm sure its only small stuff, front end looks better too. This should be a ripper once its all done :y: .

For the rear muffler are you installing the factory twin pipe muffer which originally came out on this? If so, if theres a brand/part no could you please put it up or perhaps snap a pic of it :)

nope! They are for sale!

Tyres are all good, one rim has been repaired (have the receipt for $180 odd)

and one centre cap is missing.

$300 ono for them

As for the rear muffler, I'll see what turns up, if it a standard style I will take some photos and grab the part number, its more than likely going to be a single 2" chambered muffler though