Te31 Rat Rod Build

sharpshane

New pickup coil, rotor, cap. Now I get nice blue spark.

Starter fails.... fresh battery and its slow cranking not enough to fire engine.

New starter, only clicks. I cleaned all grounds and cables and battery connections. Now you can here it spin, then click but it's not engaging the flywheel.

My guess is the starter is bad, its a refurbished one so maybe i got a bad one, ill take it to the store and swap.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad starter, got another 'new' one and....she fires! Then dies and wont start again..... :bash: Now I'm getting no spark at the plugs again but the msd is sparking just fine. Does anyone know how to test the pickup coil? Should there be more air gap than stock with MSD?

Pickup coil was fine after testing two others from the store, all in range of 130-160 ohms restistance which is fine.

Found the starter not cranking fast enough due to POS from parts store, ordered another one, they tested it before i took it and it was bad too, ordered another one and we have turnover! That's 4 starters!

Engine spinning fast enough now we have spark! Hooked up MSD again and she wanted to fire but the oil from the UNI filters clogged the carbs. Carb cleaner soak and waaalaaaa! She lives again!!!! Back to getting the cam and port and polish head with valve springs.

• 5 weeks later...

Well its been awhile but the updates are...

Wired a relay panel with a new switch panel ( See thread here! )

Wired up a new Tach that has oil pressure, water temp, volt meter, all in one.

Covered up all wires in split tubing.

New battery.

Painted steering column cover, prepped dash for sticker bomb assault

All windows tinted, front and rear glass in with new gaskets

Needs for soon:

Install 5 point harness

Fix fuel leak

Install dash panel and mount switch panel

Drive it...she is calling to me...

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been kinda busy...

wiring,

post-14235-0-57432000-1343456390_thumb.jpg

tidy up the engine bay and new wires,

post-14235-0-26925700-1343456473_thumb.jpg

post-14235-0-03365000-1343456440_thumb.jpg

sanding, painting,

post-14235-0-24916500-1343456499_thumb.jpg

post-14235-0-52187300-1343456523_thumb.jpg

post-14235-0-88303600-1343456559_thumb.jpg

spraying,

post-14235-0-69774000-1343456576_thumb.jpg

Travis from work actually took over this point, since I have never done it, but was going to learn....good or bad....

post-14235-0-72519900-1343456414_thumb.jpg

Turned out TITS! It looks like a car now! So I put the glass in with Taiwan rubber. The back quarter window seals are impossible to find so I just took some door seal off a Ford E450 van/truck and it works perfectly! Cut to size and it seals and looks JDM.

Today I got the kill switch wired correctly, turning off the car. You have to get a 4 pole switch and interupt the main power and the Field wire from your alt. I'll put the details in my wiring thread.

Also got all the black rims on the same set of tires, I have 1 gold and 1 black set and they were mixed. Got an alignment done up she hugs all the turns. Aug 4th is my first Autocross practice so we'll see if she comes back in one piece.

One more but at night, a little hard to see but thats the matte black absorbing the light...

post-14235-0-58480100-1343456329_thumb.jpg