Diff Not Centered

My diff doesn't seem to be centered it seems to be about 10-15mm more to the right then it should be. I'm wondering how do i actually measure to check and if its out where do i start? There has been an impact in the passenger side rear but i don't think it would of been enough to bend any thing. Any help would be great cheers chris

Members dont see this ad
Using my psychic powers I will tell you that you have recently lowered the car and not invested in an adjustable panhard rod.

LOL! Nice- that is very astute, but it might be his panelvan...

Which car is it Chris?

Oh- to be serious, if it isn't that problem, first check the backing plates are secure behind the brake drums and that an axle isn't coming out.

Then get a wheel alignment. The guy should be able to tell you straight away.

Edited by altezzaclub

So it relies on the leaf springs to keep it straight. Pop the front eyes out of their chassis mounts and see if they line up OK when they're relaxed & hanging. There may be a bent mount or kink in the chassis. Also, loosen the ubolts and push the springs around a bit to let them sit where they should. See if they line up any better.

What I have done in the past is to stretch a fine string around the tyres right down on the garage floor such that it grips under each tyre edge. Then I mark for floor with chalk where the string is and move the car. I grab a tape to see if the rectangle I've drawn actually IS a rectangle and not a paralellogram!

We not only did that to a mate's Landcruiser when we were replacing the spring shackle bushes, we also loosened the spring center bolt that holds the leaf pack together and whacked the leaves around with a hammer! Mind you, someone had lost a wheel off it years before and ground the disc & backing plate along the road! Things were a bit out of place!

I wondered if the actual mounts on the body were square of not. If one chassis mounts is bent out of line it means either accident damage or the factory made it like that.

I don't know what the factory tolerance was, but I've just measured mine and its within a mm. I put a tape on the outside of top of the tyre, looked down and lined the guard up with the bottom of the tyre and read it.

22mm & 23mm, so the diff should be in the middle. I'd say you're up for a 4wheel alignment sometime.