Tick In A Small Port

thcraig87

Hey guys

Got a tough one. Picked up a tick in my small port 4age. Only appears under load. I can push the clutch in and give it a boot full, when rolling, and no tick. Nothing at idle, smooth as. As soon as it's in gear and accelerating its there, goes again when at a constant speed.

It's definitely not a ping, doesnt sound like one and I put an octane booster just incase I was mistaken.

The thing that gets me too is that it is out of no where. I parked her and it was all good; I took her out 4 days later and it was there.

Does anyone have any ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members dont see this ad

Do you mean at the gasket?

could be.

whats your exhaust setup?

on the oem headers i had it was 4-2-1, and at the 4-2 flange there was 2 ceramic gaskets, i blew this out once, made a heck of a noise under load, nothing really on cruise.

could be any gasket really.

with exhaust leaks the more accell you put down, the more it will make the noise.

especailly bad at low rpm and high throttle input.

Thanks heaps for the help. Well the sounds you describe are pretty similar to mine. Louder down low, but just crazy loud/scary in general. Is there any reasoning behind it only being under load and not all the time?

The setup is 4-2-1, but no gaskets. Just one at the manifold/extractors then the next one isn't until just before the cat converter down near the gearbox. So must be the manifold gasket if any. Definitely sounds like under the bonnet.

Changing this gasket should be easy right? I know I have said those words before...

Hey guys

Just thought I would let you know how I went.

Had a good look around the extractors and the gasket to the head and it looked sooty/black. So I thought no worries, just a gasket. Took it to a local exhaust mob just to check it out anyway.

Had two cracks in the extractors, one longitudanally out of two and one transverse/round the pipe out of four. Couldn't patch, so new extractors. Cost a bit, but the tick is gone.

Thanks for the help, until next time I suppose.