Ke70 Diffs/Steering/Rear Springs

I barely know near to nothing about KE70s, but from the little things I've read.

I could be getting a KE70, already converted to a 4AGE 16v which is what i wanted, But i'm wondering what is the cheapest and legal way to get more lock and strength the diff.

I've read you can put the R31 diffs into the KE70s but you needa shorten the shaft etc?

As for more lock, S13 front conversion is the way to go, lower control arms etc?

I'm happy with the t50 gearbox, I've also got some AE86 coilovers up front but am just thinking some pedders springs in the rear will do just fine?

Cheers, any info or link to threads would be awesome.

Members dont see this ad

Springs depend on what you want to do, softer for traction and stiffer for sliding. If you want to go drifting then stiff is best, but its really a job for a shock shop to match springs and shocks so they work together.

The nice thing about the Skyline diff conversion is that you can get an LSD fitted, the KE70s biggest failure. They are also prone to whine (a fine Borg Warner local product!) like the KE70's diff, so you may have to get it checked if you can't drive it first.

s13 front end = fail in ke70.

the R31 diff seems to be the pick of the bunch, disc brakes, and aftermarket KAAZ diff available (or the silhouette LSD, but thats some crappy cone type)

it wont just bolt in though, need to modify it a bit. someone has recently don't a write up on how to do this, tech articles section i think.

spent more money on shocks than springs and you will do alright. you can make crap springs look good with good shocks, you can't make crap shocks look good with good springs.

s13 front end = fail in ke70.

the R31 diff seems to be the pick of the bunch, disc brakes, and aftermarket KAAZ diff available (or the silhouette LSD, but thats some crappy cone type)

it wont just bolt in though, need to modify it a bit. someone has recently don't a write up on how to do this, tech articles section i think.

spent more money on shocks than springs and you will do alright. you can make crap springs look good with good shocks, you can't make crap shocks look good with good springs.

ive started my s13 front conver. on my ke70 what makes u say its a fail ive heard really good things about it ?

cheers

ive started my s13 front conver. on my ke70 what makes u say its a fail ive heard really good things about it ?

cheers

The parts aren't designed for an 86/E7 chassis, they send your car's geometry out of whack. AE86 parts are readily available and retain factory geometry. Things like ride height and ridiculously large wheels can affect geometry too eg. bump steer/roll centre and incorrect scrub radius. These things can be fixed with aftermarket parts but would work best if you're using struts/coilovers designed for the car. You can get an S13 front end to work well but it will be a very fine tuned suspension setup and could probably easily go wrong. Have a look at a thread, aptly named "The Suspension Thread" here on RC. You will find alot of great info on suspension there.

The parts aren't designed for an 86/E7 chassis, they send your car's geometry out of whack. AE86 parts are readily available and retain factory geometry. Things like ride height and ridiculously large wheels can affect geometry too eg. bump steer/roll centre and incorrect scrub radius. These things can be fixed with aftermarket parts but would work best if you're using struts/coilovers designed for the car. You can get an S13 front end to work well but it will be a very fine tuned suspension setup and could probably easily go wrong. Have a look at a thread, aptly named "The Suspension Thread" here on RC. You will find alot of great info on suspension there.

only reason i went to s13 is cos ae86 parts are harder to find then a 16yr old virgin and wen u do find em people think ther gold. hubs are near impossible to find anywer! lol n cost 300 each for custom units. s13 coilovers lca withe aw11 rackends and s13 rod ends are pretty popular and thats what ima run.. woulda loved ae86 gear all round but yeh.

cheers

I did the whole s13 front end crap in a 70 and found there is a lot of stuff to modify, for starters you need to drill the lca bolt hole out to take the bigger s13 bolt, if your going coilovers you need to get a softer spring then an s13 runs, I had anywhere from 7-10kg springs in my teins and at the time it was cool but it got WAAAAYYYY to much bump steer, I almost got sent into someone's house cause of it,

then there is the need to up the brake master cyl cause of the bigger front calipers, the standard master can't handle it and you're foot near hits the floor before it starts to think about stopping, then comes the minimum of 14inch wheels to clear the front brakes, then redrilling the lca to take the ke70 castor rod..... There is a lot of shit to look at in doing it... Make sure you do all the research before deciding

EDIT: have a look in my thread in my signature go back Afew pages and you will find all the shit I went through fitting it

Edited by SLW42

fair bit of misinformation there SLW...

The CA18 calipers (which are a 250x20mm disc), are about the same size as the ae86 calipers, there is no change in brake pedal feeling.

i ran around wiht CA18 calipers for a few yrs in my ke70, and the braking was brilliant. 250mmx20mm on the front of the car was great.

yes you need to drill a few holes to fit the s13 stuff into ke70, but meh easily done with a decent drill and drill bits. i did the whole conversion in a few hrs once i had everything together. you need to drill the LCA from 12mm out to 14mm (i think...it was yrs ago), and drill 1 x ~10mm into the LCA. thats it.

bled up the brakes nicely and never had a problem with any brake pedal issues.

here is a thread where ae86 vs s13 has been discussed before, and i have a few massive posts in there on my experiences:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/49714-ae86-or-s13/

Edited by ke70dave

• 3 years later...