4a-c Using Coolant - Anybody Got A Manual?

slapper

evenin' all.

well, the handy dandy replacement corolla whilst the ke25 is in bits on the shed floor has started drinking coolant at ab alarming rate. It's not overheating (yet), there are no bubbles in the radiator and no evidence of water in the oil ... but it's issuing an unusual amount of steam from the exhaust - I'm guessing head gasket!

trouble is, I've not been inside a 4A-C yet and gregorys don't do a manual for the AE71 - I'll ge farked if I'm going to buy a manual for something else just to get the 4A-C engine bit either :P

I'll pull the head on the weekend (hopefully I'll be able to baby it along until then) but does anybody have some info on repositioning the cam belt, torquing the head bolts etc? Ideally a scan of the engine section of something with a 4A-C would be best, but I'm guessing that's going to be unlikely!

cheers,

Slapper

Members dont see this ad

Hey Mate.

Righteo... excessive steam from exhaust obviously means (like you diagnosed) water getting burnt in the combustion chamber ~ headgasket leaking. It may only be a small leak, but its good you have been keeping an eye on the under-bonet levels.. as alot of people don't :P

Where abouts do you live? - ive got a 4age engine manual here, which covered the 4ac.. its not really in scannable condition.. lol.

i could try and give you some torque figgures also ?

Let me know what you think.

Ted

Righteo... excessive steam from exhaust obviously means (like you diagnosed) water getting burnt in the combustion chamber ~ headgasket leaking. It may only be a small leak, but its good you have been keeping an eye on the under-bonet levels.. as alot of people don't :P

ohhh yes ... I dno't want this to progress to scorched engine status!

At the moment, on a warm day, it drinks about two litres of water for a 30k trip!

Where abouts do you live? - ive got a 4age engine manual here, which covered the 4ac.. its not really in scannable condition.. lol.

i could try and give you some torque figgures also ?

Adelaide - I've now ammended my profile so it should turn up in my siganture.

just trying to anticipate what I'll need to know ... head torque, cam alignment are all I can think of ... ask me again Saturday arvo when I've discovered all the other things I also need to know!

Nice thing about Gregorys et al is that they're *usually* helpful about what needs to be pulled off first, second, third etc without completely dismantling the car just to get to the head gasket!

cheers,

Slapper

Having a 4AC, its an OHC design motor (over head cam), So that means doing a headgasket is like a 1/2 pull down of the motor. Ive never done one (maybe work will let me one day..) - but id assume as long as you get the motor into TDC, and the crank mark lined up, you would be ok to start with the.... procedings :P

Ill see what else i can dig up.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Have u checked to make sure the radiator cap is still holding a good seal, sounds silly, my mates WRX we thought was leaking and we didnt know from where, until realised the crap around the radiator.

Could be something as easy as that!

Have u checked to make sure the radiator cap is still holding a good seal, sounds silly, my mates WRX we thought was leaking and we didnt know from where, until realised the crap around the radiator.

Could be something as easy as that!

Hey saki, just letting you know this thread is five years old, I'm sure they've solved it by now. Check the dates just above each post to find out when that post was made. :y:

Edited by rianwest