May 1, 201214 yr comment_601069 Hey all, (I really do not know where to post this) My little old bomb is starting to add up in price and I have been thinking of some type of alarm system for it before it goes out into the big bad world. I had a search but nothing came up for a “GPS tracker/ car alarm and I was just wondering some of the pros and cons of some of the brands out there on the market. I have not done any research into this myself yet but I’d like to hear from what you have experienced or heard . I have been told that some of the more upper market alarm systems have a sim card in them and they will text you if the current state of the car is changed. Thanks for your feedback. Edited May 15, 201214 yr by _FNQ_rolla_ Report
May 2, 201214 yr comment_601281 I run a GPS tracker in one of my cars. Cheap, reliable and works a treat. I have a simple no fuss Rhino brand alarm to take care of central locking/immobilizer. When it is set off, it has sends a signal to my stand alone GPS tracker which can be purchased from around $100 off ebay. The tracker has a sim card which sends you an SMS with and alert sms and GPS coordinates. You can also send an sms to your car and it will sms back a google maps link which you can open up with your smart phone. The tracker unit can also be wired up to trigger a relay to act as an immobilizer i.e. fuel pump. You sms your car a command and it will trigger the relay to kill the engine in the event of it getting stolen. Say no to all in one alarms. too many problems/reliabilty issues Edited May 2, 201214 yr by Kebin Report
May 3, 201214 yr comment_601551 I run a GPS tracker in one of my cars. Cheap, reliable and works a treat. I have a simple no fuss Rhino brand alarm to take care of central locking/immobilizer. When it is set off, it has sends a signal to my stand alone GPS tracker which can be purchased from around $100 off ebay. The tracker has a sim card which sends you an SMS with and alert sms and GPS coordinates. You can also send an sms to your car and it will sms back a google maps link which you can open up with your smart phone. The tracker unit can also be wired up to trigger a relay to act as an immobilizer i.e. fuel pump. You sms your car a command and it will trigger the relay to kill the engine in the event of it getting stolen. Say no to all in one alarms. too many problems/reliabilty issues From reading the above, it sounds like you need a phone with dual sim card capacity to be able to use the gps tracker? And setting up a kill command would need some sort of intermediate programming knowledge? It does sound like a good way to protect your ride for a fraction of the cost of an all in one alarm, such as python and viper. Report
May 3, 201214 yr comment_601557 ^^^ The best kind! From reading the above, it sounds like you need a phone with dual sim card capacity to be able to use the gps tracker? No, the GPS unit inside the car has a sim card, thus being able to send you an sms message. Report
May 9, 201214 yr Author comment_602870 Hi all, and thank you for your feedback. stand alone GPS tracker. which can be purchased from around $100 off ebay. The tracker has a sim card which sends you an SMS with and alert sms and GPS coordinates. Say no to all in one alarms. too many problems/reliabilty issues Do you have a brand name or do you know of a brand so I can do a little bit more research. Thanks Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_603035 They are all no name china brands. I recommend this: http://www.ebay.com....=item2a1d02450f Edited May 10, 201214 yr by Kebin Report
May 15, 201214 yr comment_604127 This sim card in the unit would require a phone plan or credit per month to use though right? Report
May 15, 201214 yr comment_604146 Alternatively a pay as you go sim would be more cost effective. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now