My Ke70 Won't Idle Or Accelerate Without The Choke.

B-Lugg

Every time I put the choke in (Push knob forward) the car will quickly die unless I aggressively pump the throttle, it is not responsive to the accelerator the moment it gets to under 2000 RPM. When I pull the choke out the car is fine and drive-able but the only problem is that it runs at 3000 + RPM even when just sitting at lights etc. Oh and it's a 4 speed 4K-C.

I have adjusted the points (to the best of my ability, could still be a little out) and changed all fluids in the car including petrol.

Another problem I would love to help with is most probably a blown fuse.

My rear lights (indicators and reverse lights included) don't work, my dash light does not work. I don't have a service manual or a multi meter so if someone could let me know which fuse to replace, it would be a great help.

Advice and help would be absolutely awesome, I just want to get it running before I can get my hands on a service manual.

Thanks!

Members dont see this ad

the fuse you're looking for is likely in the drivers footwell. there is a plastic panel that can be removed by two or three 10mm headed bolts. behind that panel is a fuse box with details of which fuse is which.

as for your idling/bad running problems, there are many things that could be wrong with it.

check the following.

all inlet manifold nuts are tight. vacuum leaks around the manifolds will cause incorrect mixtures and poor running

fuel filter is new/in servicable condition. a blocked filter will cause poor down low running.

if that is out of your comfort zone, i reccomend taking it to any mechanic with at least 20 years experience. they should be able to diagnose and tune it quickly.

the fuse you're looking for is likely in the drivers footwell. there is a plastic panel that can be removed by two or three 10mm headed bolts. behind that panel is a fuse box with details of which fuse is which.

as for your idling/bad running problems, there are many things that could be wrong with it.

check the following.

all inlet manifold nuts are tight. vacuum leaks around the manifolds will cause incorrect mixtures and poor running

fuel filter is new/in servicable condition. a blocked filter will cause poor down low running.

if that is out of your comfort zone, i reccomend taking it to any mechanic with at least 20 years experience. they should be able to diagnose and tune it quickly.

I have been told that it might be something to do with the fuel mixtures running through it, a friend said that it might be the idle adjustment screw as well as what you have said, but neither of us knew where it is located on the 4K-C. Do you know which screw it is?

And yeah, if I can't solve the problem myself I will take it down to the mechanic. This is my first "project" car and I am out to learn as much as possible :).

Thanks heaps and thanks for the quick reply too!

There are 3 fuse boxes in an *e7*

One is attached to the battery clamp

One is behind a little pop out panel under the dash dimmer knob to the right of the steering wheel

One in in the drivers foot well, to the right of the accelerator pedal, behind the plastic speaker trim.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Hey mate,

As stated above the fuses you will need to check/ replace are located in the panel to the right of the steering wheel. Look where the bonnet release lever is and follow it straight up and you will see it underneath the dash dimming switch if i remember correctly.

Your problem with the car's idle is most likely a fuel mixture issue. Your carby will have two screws near where the accelerator cable is hooked up, one screw for idle adjustment, one for mixture. Base setting for mixture is normally around 1.5- 2 turns out from memory. Also check your points gap is 0.5 and your timing! However I suggest you taking it to a mechanic though if your uncomfortable, then watching him and learn :)

Cheers,

Justin

Edited by e70rolla