Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryan's Formerly Owned Te31

Featured Replies

  • Author

If I am shortening my front struts, I might as well get another set, so I can build them while still using the car. I just happened to stumble upon a 1982 Cressida at the parts yard. Looks like they should work.

2013-09-15205151_zpsc3dc2c0f.jpg

 

Sweet vented brake upgrade too.

2013-09-15205213_zps5e493447.jpg

 

I heat pressure washed them to remove all the oil and brake dust, and stripped apart the hubs and brakes. Brand new brake pads on it.

2013-09-15223033_zps41cf94ad.jpg

 

Spring compressors and an impact drill makes this simple:

2013-09-16174916_zps10f002e3.jpg

 

Plasma cutter cuts like butter:

2013-09-16203402_zps23fd863e.jpg

 

And then the grinder to make them a little more manageable.

2013-09-16210012_zpsb3481713.jpg

 

That's where I'm at with them so far. I have 320# springs for the front, but they are only 7.25" tall. I might have to get some of the same rate in 10". That's all i got for now.

  • Replies 148
  • Views 194.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

What are you doing for steering arms? Just using the cressy ones?

No clue. I'm just winging it for now. If the corolla ones bolt up, ill use them. If not, ill use the cressy ones. If both those don't work... ill design and build some out of some thick sheet metal. anyone know if they are the same bolt pattern? or arm length?

I doubt theyd be the same bolt spacing from arm to strut. You might get lucky with the stock ball joint fitting the arms. If the arms are shorter then you'll get more lock/quicker quicker steering as well.

  • Author

If the arms are shorter then you'll get more lock/quicker quicker steering as well.

don't threaten me with a good time!

On a serious note, I need to do some measuring.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Here is the measurement from the cressy arm. Anyone with a corolla strut or steering arm laying around want to help me out?

2013-09-29223920_zpsc7a3f3ea.jpg

More work done to cressy struts. I chopped out the middle, beveled the edges for better welding.

2013-09-28211055_zps63003ea7.jpg

on the vice, ready for welding. That is the stock Cressida strut inside to line things up.

2013-09-28211427_zps7f9b24a8.jpg

Weld her up

2013-09-28203442_zpsbdd7df06.jpg

Then grind down the welds and check for holes: all good!

2013-09-28204709_zpsee52d062.jpg

Shortened vs not

2013-09-28204922_zps583e03a1.jpg

Cut small length of pipe for perch mount. Position so adjust-ability range is optimal.

2013-09-28221013_zps0e5b970e.jpg

Bases fitted and welded:

2013-09-28222223_zpsa775a9cb.jpg

Add some primer and paint:

2013-09-29224047_zps70546d10.jpg

  • Author

I assembled both struts, and I did some measuring of my car. From rough measurements, I should achieve about a 3" drop on the front of my car due to swapping the struts. I am not sure how much the springs will compress with the weight of the car on them though. Its a stock te31 and the new springs are 320#. With almost 3 inches already taken off, the spring compression might make my car lower than I really want it. I can opt for 8 or 10" springs for a little more height. As you can see my adjusters are topped out to achieve the height they are at now. With a 10" spring I can bump them up a bit more.

2013-10-01215327_zps94705ef6.jpg

My steering arms look as if they are interchangeable. The Cressida one has 1" longer arms than the corolla's stock, So Ill try to use the corolla ones on the Cressida struts.

This is about the height I am am looking for, but a little higher:

chop_zps1d64bb45.jpg

your craftsmanship is A+. well done man!

  • Author

your craftsmanship is A+. well done man!

Thanks.

I wouldn't be able to any of this work without the internet and sites like these.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I have been messing around with struts again. I tore down the free set of SR5 struts that were given to me to compare some things with the cressida ones. So far I have noticed:

-The original strut tubes are the same length and diameter.

-The steering arms mounting points are wider on the cressida ones,

-and they put the balljoint at a different angle than the corolla ones.

-Balljoints slightly different. <- not 100% sure on this one yet.

So If I use the cressida ones it will suck the lower part of my front tire in bringing positive camber. I can adjust this out by using camber adjusters and it will narrow my track width just a little which would bring my MA61's inside the stock guard. I am not sure if the bigger brakes will push it right back out again or not...

I could always shorten the SR5 struts and retain my ability to run 13" tires. Who knows my Minilites may make their way to my 31. I want to get going on my suspension already, but my car is currently being used as a driver.

  • Author

I completed the SR5 struts. I made them into coilovers with stock strut tube size, a MR2 sw20 rear struts, spacer, and my 320lbs springs. It is a little- ok ok maybe a lot stiff. This was my test. The springs were free, so I can a buy a set of 10" 270-300lbs and have a better ride. I think I will take a 2" section out of the struts. It seems that my car is about 1" lower on the front with no body roll whatsoever. Pics, sorry some are a little blurry.

2013-10-28212310_zps48696c11.jpg

 

2013-10-30190234_zps5147a558.jpg

 

2013-10-31094110_zpsdf4bbe88.jpg

  • Author

I spun down the adjustable perches on my coilovers today. This is the about the level I think I will end up with when I finish my suspension. As for the 320# springs, They settled in a bit and they are really nice. Not as bouncy as I thought they would be. The SW20 rear struts handle them just fine. The car corners very nicely now with minimal body roll.

2013-11-07200105_zps154383e5.jpg

I am also considering using these. I am in the middle of refinishing them.

2013-11-07220528_zpsfd2d9c52.jpg

 

2013-11-07220759_zpse2a47249.jpg

Love those wheels, I have a similar set on one of mine!

 

cheers!

  • Author

I couldn't stand looking at that dent any longer. So i did this, and well, one thing led to another on my first body damage repair job. Soon I'll be able to get some more work done on it.

2013-11-08204844_zps155af002.jpg

 

2013-11-08211105_zpsa76c8b4d.jpg

 

2013-11-08211116_zpscdbf84b8.jpg

 

2013-11-08224540_zpscdc18772.jpg

 

2013-11-09210842_zps5c63505a.jpg

 

2013-11-09224557_zpsbd5a09d4.jpg

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I dissected that corolla to attain its crankshaft. I feel like a cat that kills a gopher and only eats one part, then leaves it on the porch.

2013-11-19160000_zpsb83de0e7.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.