Ryan's Formerly Owned Te31

Skellington

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by the parts yard today (more for fun and to scout as I am poor till next month). They have a 76 corolla that I wanted to look at the rear quarter panels and ask what tools they would allow for me to cut it out. The panels are good and I will be returning with a cut off wheel to fix the ouch spot on mine. While looking at this grey with nice black interior car I noticed that it has a grille sitting in the back seat, so I grabbed it for next to nothing.

2012-07-22141402.jpg

Looks like ill have to re-do it like I did mine. I can keep it for a spare / different color grille, or help out a fellow corolla owner with the best looking corolla grill. I may make a simple write up on how to recondition your grill.

Here is the other one I did, and it looked identical to this one or worse when I started.

2012-06-29160942.jpg

Update:

Did some work on the car. I had some horrific exhaust leaks due to my pipe and muffler deteriorating (think they were original), so I put a new 2" exhaust on it. I used factory Toyota cat. and an Aero muffler. The car sounds much better, and it isn't too loud. Now that I can actually hear the engine running and not a bunch of muttled sputtering, I can focus on making my engine run right.

Pics of nicely tucked exhaust system:

2012-07-26191708.jpg2012-07-26191734.jpg

I took my valve cover off to adjust my valves and I was a bit horrified at how dirty the inside was. Its hard to tell with these pictures, but there is a lot of oily sludge in the bottom and all around. I am not sure what the best approach would be to clean this all up. Any ideas?

Pics (their gross looking):

2012-07-26193618.jpg2012-07-26193557.jpg

2012-07-26193534.jpg

I don't know if I should be alarmed by this stuff or not, but I would like to have the internals of my engine as clean as possible.

After adjusting valves I checked all my vacuum lines and made sure they were all sealing. I checked the "vacuum box"? that they all connect to and found that there is a diagram on the bottom. So I followed that, and made sure they were all where they should be. I then started the car and used a can of carb cleaner to spray around the manifold. Found 2 areas where I have vacuum leaks. This is exciting for me because I now have an idea of what is making my car run like crud. can't wait to fix it and have my baby purr for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Update: I have taken apart the front of the 2tc to replace timing chain and components, water pump, and thermostat. My idle has been off due to it being off on its distributor gear. It was advanced so much that I couldn't see the mark with the timing light. No wonder it didn't like to run under 1600 RPM. I have also cleaned the manifold and re-gasketed it.

Parts to instal:

2012-08-04072640.jpg

Before:

2012-08-16193710.jpg

For fun:

2012-08-26190848.jpg

Right now my thoughts are a under cover 3tc in a 2tc case (gotta pass cali smog). I may put some minor things inside like dual valve springs, stronger pushrods, and maybe some other OEM toyota pistons. Then I can throw said turbo on it:

2012-06-02202742.jpg2012-06-08185206.jpg

I think an EFI system would make it run quite well, but I have no idea how to do the electrical. would be fun. Would a average run of the mill toyota 1.6-2.0 stock efi system work without pricy aftermarket stuff? I can fab any manifolds etc.

I have finished the front of my engine. Everything went well except for the bolt that adjusts the alternator; It decided to shear off for me. :devil: I am digging the new paint and I hope to get to the entire engine. I started the car but my main belt is screaming so i only ran it for a few seconds. I can't wait to start driving this thing when its properly tuned. Next comes... Paint? Wheels? Suspension? 5 Speed? Turbo? Sterio? only time will tell.

Pics:

2012-08-27162711.jpg

2012-09-01140332.jpg

2012-09-01140313.jpg

2012-09-01192925.jpg

Picked up some goodies for the car today. I got a running 2tc engine with everything on it, a working T50 transmission will all clutch pieces in between (too lazy to split it), and a S374 coded third member so 3.583 ratio. This will make my car a freeway flyer. The parts yard I got the engine and trans from charges for hoist rental. They charge a $20 deposit, then they charge $5 per 30 min. You better believe I pulled that engine and trans in under 30 mins LOL! The lady was like "what you don't need it" then she noticed that I was done, so hoist only cost me $5. :rocknroll:

Pics:

Running 2tc soon to be rebuilt on stand.

2012-09-03184227.jpg

T-Fiddy

2012-09-03184139.jpg

2012-09-03184207.jpg

And my freeway flyer gearing:

2012-09-03184032.jpg

This setup would give me... well just look at the graph:

t50gearing-1.png

3300RPM at 75MPH would be nice. Will my poor stock 2tc be able to pull these gears until i get the 3tc internals? I am quite curious. But if I just change the rear ratio my A40 automatic will be pulling 3800RPM in its final gear where as it's doing 4500RPM now (S292 4.10). I could look into getting a S314 ratio and having a 3.909 ratio, but I kinda like the freeway flyer route. Let me know what you guys think. Has anybody ran this setup?