Another 4Age Ke20

crunk81us

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

been a while.. so it picture time..

I sold another car which cleared some funds.. so i decided to get a quick paint job done on it.. (I have decided to rwc. mod plate and rego it) Have a few more bits and pieces to sell to get it finished and on the road/track..

The only real bad section of rust other than spare wheel well, Both were cut and repaired:

rust2_zps789b2727.jpg

First sighting since paint :D

IMG_0230_zps1ab62d39.jpg

on the trailer headed home

IMG_0237_zpsece8b2b1.jpg

HOME!

IMG_0238_zps1ab5f74c.jpg

So I picked up a set of extractors, 4-1 that fit perfectly (thanks Mickey)

Getting a hoodlining made up, and have tidied up a dash pad which i will have recovered at the same time.

Although I wanted to do as much as possible on this myself, I am glad I got the paint done.. I simply would not have had the time to get it finished in time for the june mod plate rule changes. and it looks sweet!

Getting down to smaller bits and pieces now.

Have ordered rubbers, indicators, mirrors, I have the carpet ready to go in.

Chasing a good bonnet trim (yeh i know.. arent we all!) otherwise i will just tidy up my best one.

yet to get tyres (for rwc) would love to borrow a set ;) any toowoomba-ites with some stockos in gc lying around.. 13's in 114.3 x4 ??

• 2 months later...

Life is busy.

Houses, cars, work, phew. big start to 2013!

Anyway heres an update:

Last we saw paint..

I have it running nicely now, have changed the diff temporarily to a borgy (standard ke20, getting a tailshaft was a &^$&%$ nightmare!! thanks again mickey!) because i needed the 114.3 stud pattern which was already installed, not to mention the bigger brakes.

installed some rear springs that had the top leaf flipped and some green kyb/koni.. don't remember..

Have installed the indicators, and mirrors etc, mounted the battery box in the boot, and mounted surge tank and pumps to the spare tyre well.

IMG_0350_zps6e503b45.jpg

IMG_0349_zps69ad970b.jpg

IMG_0348_zpsa9d3f4e4.jpg

Picked up a set of cheapy SAAS seats from supercrap.. not too bad, fit the shoulders nicely but the lumbar support is non existant and the side bolsters are too wide.. one is mounted, other is getting mounted today (hopefully)

IMG_0345-1_zpsd6704d3f.jpg

carpets have been cut and put in (then removed to fit seats lol) and the hoodlining, and cheap recovered dash is in.

IMG_0344_zps84adfd79.jpg

made up a gauge section out of some ally plate i had lying around.

IMG_0346-1_zps50dca704.jpg

I took it to Oakey street sprints on may 5th, as a test day (only been driven very sensibly around a (private) block) and on and off the trailer a couple of times previously.

IMG_0329_zps2dc777ce.jpg

IMG_0328_zps77670115.jpg

With an open diff, no drive AT ALL thru the corners (and therefore no throttle steering) i managed to take 3rd in class.. JUST! by .16 of a second to a ke25 with lsd, and a 20 valve.. :lovin:

oil cooler ..

IMG_0352_zps85963951.jpg

couple of teething problems:

Thrust bearing noise is constant, and clutch slips a bit into each gear (good on the drivetrain not good on times lol)

I think i need to adjust the slave cylinder.. read: grind some of the shaft off.

the exhaust is rubbing under full load, and the bolts came loose on the extractor collector flange which is before the o2 sensor which caused it to lose power in the last run.

needs a wheel alignment

other than that it ran beautifully!

For a $500 ebay engine and a diy shed build I couldnt be happier.. well I could be, and will be when:

I have my hilux 4:1 diff shortened with an ARB air locker and discs (to fit under 13' rims ??? help appreciated here!! )

A better sway bar/suspension setup to counter my body roll.

better front brakes (to go with the rear discs)

and last.. yes last.. more power.....

I will be aiming for 170+ flywheel HP

so far on my shopping list is:

298-304 degree cams, adjustable sprockets and shims etc reqd for the lift.

haltech sprint 500

tidy up of my smallport head

ITB (silvertop setup paid for and about to be shipped)

lightened flywheel (no hp here..)

compression 10:5-11:1 depends on what is in the engine already (was told it had forgies and i think i might believe it) if they are and they are ok but not high enough compression i will be shaving the head.

probably some rod and head bolts etc and all the obligatory new belts etc.

pics coming...

Edited by crunk81us

• 3 weeks later...

Are you going to run toe-in or toe-out?

Make the flywheel and the crankshaft as light as you can. Same with wheels, to hell with looking cool, keep them small and light. Every rotational part should be as light as possible to help the motor spin up quiickly, its better than more power.

Look like great fun. Have you read this page-

http://farnorthracing.com/index.html

Are you going to run toe-in or toe-out?

Make the flywheel and the crankshaft as light as you can. Same with wheels, to hell with looking cool, keep them small and light. Every rotational part should be as light as possible to help the motor spin up quiickly, its better than more power.

Look like great fun. Have you read this page-

http://farnorthracing.com/index.html

planning on a light flywheel, and considering lightweight pulley kit.. have heard some stories of the cranks snapping with lightened pulleys tho. something to do with harmonics..

i have some nice light alloys in 13x6.

toe in/out.. honestly not sure, probably out, atm it hasnt even had an alignment..

what am i looking for on that page?