Studs Or Bolts

JordyKE

Hey,

I've got a fully rebuilt 5K. I'm in the process of bolting on all the accesories.

Now, i need to know whether to use bolts or studs with nuts to hold the Inlet and exhaust manifolds on.

What do you guys like to do with yours?

And what do you think is best?

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

Thanks everyone, currently trying to source some studs off user 'troyota', i'll see how i go with price and whatnot.

I just spent an hour or so on the lathe and machined stainless steel studs up. They work well if you wanna have a look check my build thread.

http://www.rollaclub...an/page__st__60

Nice thread dude. I really like your extractors. How'd you paint them? And do you think the paint will last?

PM troyota I'm getting mine through him!

yeah i Pm'd him thanks mate.

had

I'd use studs if possible, it does make it a nightmare for me getting my Dellortos off in a very tight KE1x engine bay, so I've got bolts.

It's not actually very hard getting bolts lined up into boltholes. Even with Dellorto's.

iwontarolla, nice work with the studs; just a tip though, keep an eye on them. I personally wouldn't use stainless, its got a fairly high coefficient of expansion, higher than steel. You want to get them torqued up reasonably tight, otherwise you might find that they 'loosen off' with engine temperature.

If you have trouble blowing manifold gaskets, swap them to mild steel.

I'd use studs if possible, it does make it a nightmare for me getting my Dellortos off in a very tight KE1x engine bay, so I've got bolts.

It's not actually very hard getting bolts lined up into boltholes. Even with Dellorto's.

iwontarolla, nice work with the studs; just a tip though, keep an eye on them. I personally wouldn't use stainless, its got a fairly high coefficient of expansion, higher than steel. You want to get them torqued up reasonably tight, otherwise you might find that they 'loosen off' with engine temperature.

Yeah i have a single side draught Dellorto, i might need bolts, because it is very very tight.

I'll see how much studs are and things.

I hit them with a wire brush until shiney then i used 3M extractor paint straight on with a light coat then one more coat. Then you just drive fairly hard to get them really hot and should last for a while. Paints rated to 650 degrees.

Awesome, where did you get the paint from and how much was it?

Cheers everyone.

Yea so far they haven't but I have only just started to drive the drive so hopefully they don't. If they do I'll just spend a hour making some new ones out of steel

You can get the paint from supercheap I payed 17 bucks for a can and I still have maybe a 3rd of a can left. So far the paint is in top condition. If you want I can send you a picture of the can.

Jordy, you might get away with it on a single. Mine are twins and you can't rotate the manifold anywhere to get off the back stud, the rear carb always hits the strut tower. With a single you might be ok.

iwontarolla, do you know what grade stainless you used? my guess is 304/316?

Yea so far they haven't but I have only just started to drive the drive so hopefully they don't. If they do I'll just spend a hour making some new ones out of steel

You can get the paint from supercheap I payed 17 bucks for a can and I still have maybe a 3rd of a can left. So far the paint is in top condition. If you want I can send you a picture of the can.

That would be good as dude. There is some stuff at bur sons which is $20, seemed good, and it had the colour i want. Which is a surprise haha.

Jordy, you might get away with it on a single. Mine are twins and you can't rotate the manifold anywhere to get off the back stud, the rear carb always hits the strut tower. With a single you might be ok.

iwontarolla, do you know what grade stainless you used? my guess is 304/316?

Yeah with my single i had to cut out a bit of the cover that fits over the air filter because it hits the strut tower.

I have another weird question. Engine mounts, same on a 4K for a 5K. And can you buy brand new ones? (highly unlikely i'd imagine)

Cheers.