4K Rebuild In Perth

caibs

i'm interested in having a motor rebuilt, anyone got any recomendations?

there was a guy who used to advertise in the quokka 3/4k rebuilds for 500 bucks. does anyone have his details by any chance?

any experiences, thoughts etc, post em up

Members dont see this ad

don't know if he is still around and personally had no experience with him but when old blokes chat to me about the rolla they always say they had a tony flood hot motor built ?

try looking for tony flood i suppose if not just ring around I'm sure you can find something

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the old bloke :)

If you ever want to learn how to rebuild a motor this is the perfect start. Just send the head of to get reconditioned, everything else is reasonably simple with a little know how or research. Get a manual of ebay.

I assisted with the rebuild on mine, the hardest bit was re-kitting the carbies. The trick to them was getting the correct rebuild kit (fluked that one :) ) then taking one piece out and putting the new bit in, one bit at a time.

Getting the timing and final tune all done will probably take some help but shouldn't cost too much if you do everything else yourself.

You can haul the motor out and strip it easily enough- take lots of photos and draw diagrams and keep all the nuts & bolts from one system in its own dogfood can

Get a quote from a couple of motor engineers to rebore, grind the crank and assemble a short block, just phone them up and ask them how much they would charge for a 4K. Pick the guys you want to work with.

Have them clean all the components, check them for wear and tell you what needs doing. If it needs a rebore there's nothing to stop you having it sonic tested and rebored to 1500cc so you can fit flat-top 5K pistons. Depending on the price and your cash situation, you can have them bore it, put the pistons on the rods, grind the crank and overhaul the valves, then give it all back to you in bits. It will cost a few hundred more to have them re-assemble the pistons/crank in the block and the valves in the head, and give you back those two main parts for final assembly.

If you're into cars then buy yourself a piston ring compressor, a torque wrench, and a valve spring compressor & do it all yourself. You'll need those tools every time you do an engine up and they will last you all your life. If you have the engineers assemble the head & block then you'll only need a torque wrench.

While its down there, have them lighten the flywheel and balance the whole motor/clutch setup, it will rev a lot smoother. This would also be the time to get the cam ground and start hunting for extractors and a better carb, Weber or SUs.

As Ken said, this is the best time to learn all about engines!

• 4 weeks later...

Tony Flood is still around and still the man to see for building something quick for a Toyota, but usually only plays with competition motors.

Has a regular servicing deal as the 9-5 while the competition cars get built afterhours usually.

http://www.floodmotorsport.com.au

I am affiliated. Been spannering on his personal competition cars for the last 8yrs or so.