Anyone Been Up This Road. Kandos-Muswellbrook

I'm off to pick up the girl from Armidale tomorrow bright & early, and there are two ways to get around the bit of NSW with no roads in.

One is Orange--> Northwest through Gulgong, maybe Duneedoo & Cassilis to Tamworth. Looks easy, although some roads may be bad if they're wet. Anyone been over those minor roads?

The other is Orange--> Bathurst, North to Kandos then Muswellbrook & Tamworth. The road from Kandos north looks pretty spectacular, so I might go up one route and down the other.

Anyone been on that bit from Kandos through Rylestone to Muswellbrook? Something you'd take a nice KE70 over this weekend? Its no life sticking on the man roads all the time...

post-7544-0-58261300-1344479752_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-89641400-1344479853_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

OK, currently I'm planning on going up the black dots through Merriwa, but that depends on the rain (or snow) tonight. Choice 2 will be the Coolah one, its a more major road.

Then the girl and I can share driving down through Muswellbrook all day Saturday.

I'll take a camera...

Well, it did Orange -Armidale and back to Tamworth on a tank, running at 6.6L/100km, or 43mpg, which I thought was brilliant at 100kph with foot flat going up hills .. mind you, that big high pressure system with South Westers meant a tailwind all the way!

So, the lure of the gravel was too much and we never made it over the Kandos-Muswellbrook road! We got to the gravel pass & the girl went up and down and up again, learning about swinging the car around and sliding it, and we stopped in a couple of big gravel depots to practice handbrake turns. Here we were being typical 'P' platers in the middle of nowhere and this little FWD something with 'P' plates & a couple of young guys stops to watch, and as we drove out they drove in...

Still, its the best way to learn skills that are vital in emergencies, the same as I had her left-foot braking going downhill.

She took me out for a pub dinner last night and we sat eating on bar stools watching a young guy slowly fall off his... he spoke to the staff from a horizontal position quite happily, although he was as white as a sheet, and they helped him up. The girl reckoned he was gonna chuck at any moment but I reckoned it was all a ploy to get hold of the barmaid he was busy chatting up now, when he slowly slid off his stool again! When we paid the girl asked what happened to his beer, sitting untouched on the table, and it turned out he was kneed in the head in a football game that afternoon & hadn't even started to drink, & when we went outside he was off to hospital with the ambulance!

Well, another time for the Muswellbrook road!

post-7544-0-83018200-1344672691_thumb.jpg