89 Ae92 Sedan Rear Drum To Disc Brake Conversion Help?

dingeldei

can any one send me a how to

not really sure where to begin not really experienced with this

ive seen thins done on other cars and would really like to do it myself

what parts do i need?

all ive been told is that i need the hand brake cable, rear hubs, control arms and brake master booster from an AE101

bu not how to install them

photos would help a lot.

Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am about to do that myself in the next week or so.I will try to take some pics along the way.However,it is a pretty simple thing to do.Everything just unbolts and really only goes back together one way,so less stuff ups.

I have been asking people the same questions about 4wdisc conversions and most seem to have varying ideas about it.

I have cheated and brought a complete running car and swapping everything over.Including the 6 speed box.

Here is everything I have been told and which has been proven right by other people;

you will need rear hubs/trailer arms and handbrake cables.

you can use 4wdisc from ae90 ae92 ae94 and ae101 models.

been told numerous times that the booster and master cylinder are exactly the same between drum and disc rear.

metal brake lines are the same.No bias valves etc in the line.

front hubs/rotors/calipers are different than the drum brake ones.

There are different sizes/types of 4wdisc set ups.Some rotors are slightly bigger in diameter.

Things I been told and un-verifyed are;

rear strut/shocky towers are different...I will compare mine and check soon.

booster the same but master cylinder different.Housing/reservoir is the same but supposed to have a different spring pressure inside of it somewhere.

most people keep away from the factory 4wdisc and use an upgraded/modified versions(4pot calipers etc).

Hope that helps....Thank you.

PS; I have some g.c ae92 seca parts for sale.I am wrecking it into my hatchback.So all the seca bits are not needed.

EG; tailgate/hatch

4 doors

some rear interior plastics and dash plastics.Dark grey type colour

rear bumper bar

front strut bar and a front swaybar

long dash cluster

hi-rise centre console(twin cam style)

tail lights

rear wing/bobtail

EFI conversion bits (tank/pump/lines and a wiring harness when I change mine over)

power steering set up (rack/lines and pump to suit twin cam)

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ......................Thank you...skip.

• 1 month later...

pain in the arse? you must be doing it wrong :P i found it easier and the plus side is larger rear brakes are then available from later model corollas, ie 266mm from the ae101/111.

ps i hated the drums on the my crappadore, and i also hated changing them on the bedford vans and ford transits i've worked on in the past.

The disc pistons have to be SCREWED back into the calipers against the handbrake actuation thread to fit the new pads in. They've been there for years and years, are filthy and jammed, and it must do funny thngs to the seals in the cylinder.

They still don't make a decent handbrake when brand new! I think they're the sort that Mk4 Zephyrs had when the handbrake would jam on after sitting overnight and you couldn't move the car! The Altezza has tiny brake shoes inside the disc hub, which means they're self-adjusting and just as complicated as your old Commode ones.

i never had a problem, with the rears on my seca and to my knowledge they had'nt been rebuilt in the 18+ years on the road, according to the maintenance receipts i have. (and only recently swapped over to reconditioned unit when i did the GTE swap)

When i did swapped over the rear brakes on the hatch back, i bought replacement hand brake cables as the ones that came with the setup were a wee bit stretched like your local pro down at the corner pub.

Quick update; I still have not started the conversion yet.

I will let you's know the difference when they are fitted,and there will be a difference....I have had no handbrake(or rear brakes)for about 2 years now....so I will notice some difference.

After 25 years of doing cars,I have found there are no easy/simple rear brake set up.They all have some sort of stupid factory f##kup built into them but corolla's(ae models,that is) seem the easiest to do that I've come across.

Thank you...skip.