1980 Ke55 V8 Conversion

Mitch1994

Hi guys,

My dad and i currently have a HZ ute out the back with a 308 engine currently in it, were looking to put in a larger engine in a year or two.

I've heard around that i'm unable to register a ke55 with a new v8 engine in it (currently has stock 1.2l), was just wondering if this is true, i currently live in NSW aswell. P plate laws wont be a problem because ill be on my blacks by the time its finished.

Also, what would you guys rate the level of difficulty to drop it in? The engine bay looks quite small and what other customisations would i have to do to get it working properly.

Addtionally, would it be street legal?

Members dont see this ad

Defiantly street registrable, just depends if you probably have to re engineer it as an ICV with a lot of body/chassis mods, or may be able to be regoed without but doubt it.

A fair bit of work to get it to fit, depends what box you use as well weather tunnel needs modding as well.

Defiantly street registrable, just depends if you probably have to re engineer it as an ICV with a lot of body/chassis mods, or may be able to be regoed without but doubt it.

No hope in hell of street-registering it (max allowable engine size NA under VSI-6 was about 2.8L in a KE55, don't think NCOP is much different), to re-classify it as an ICV you'd pretty much have to start from the ground up with a new chassis at which point there's no reason why you'd use a Corolla as a base anyway. Plus getting an ICV registered is a lot more stringent than getting a modified car engineered (considering you have to prove every element of the car as being road-legal/safe etc).

• 2 weeks later...

NCOP actually allows a bit more room to move in some cases, but to avoid spoon feeding,

Google RTA/RMS engine conversion regulations 2012 and see what comes up.

Ring the RTA/RMS directly and ask for a copy of the documents for the new modified car engineering scheme and regulations.