Sound Deadner??

Danman85

What's the best way to deaden my exhaust noise in my car? I've got a 3inch all the way from my turbo in my KE10 and when you go cruising for a while, you get a good ring in your ears after a while.

Should I use a matting like dynomatt? Or do something with my exhaust? Other guys just tell me to have a teaspoon of concrete... Call me a girl, but I just don't want to be deaf when I'm 50

Dan

Members dont see this ad

What mufflers are on it? Does it have a resonator under the passenger's seat, or does it need one with a turbo?

What type of rear muffler does it have?? A straight-through design? You deserve sore ears. A tri-chamber with an open centre? I reckon they're the best compromise.

Is the muffler made with a single steel wall? The Altezza had a thriple layered wall, steel-fibreglass-steel, to stop the noise coming through the muffler walls and into the boot, then drumming into the car. I tried some noisy sports aftermarket thing but it was light in weight and too thin in the walls as the car droned. Currently I have an L-Sportline, an expensive American one with very thick stainless walls that is quite heavy. Sounds great out the pipe but is quiet in the car.

How do I know? I cut sections out of all three mufflers and did a writeup on it in the Altezzaclub forums..

If you really want to solve the problem get a smaller exhaust pipe & more restrictive mufflers!

You can try to stop the noise getting inside and try to absorb it once its inside.. Fill the car with pillows and blankets and drive it to start with. I've loaded the KE with all sorts of luggage for trips until there is barely space for the driver and it still doesn't absorb the sound from the bodywork steel resonating from the exhaust.

Generally you tackle it with mats and sprays, like this-

http://www.wikihow.com/Sound-Deaden-Your-Car

For a cheap solution you could try the rubber-based deadeners-

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3687

The best absorber you can get is a foam/metal sandwich that you put under the carpet. You could give it a try, but its not cheap. Check out industrial and marine applications as well as car stereo places.

ahh ca18det in a ke10. man that woudl be a rocket ship.

well i have only had one experience with a turbo exhaust, it was an sr20det.

i had 3" all the way, with 2 of the biggest mufflers i could fit in there and a SMB cat convertor, i think they were huricane, i went through the huricane catalogue at the exhaust shop and got him to order the biggest ones that fit, was a tight squeeze. (they were like 30" long and12" wide....)

The result was an almost silent exhaust on cruise, but as soon as you opened up the throttle it sounded like your gineric SR.

id do the same again on any turbo car i put an exhaust on i think.