High Beam Turns Headlights Off??

lachi3r

hey guys. so my headlights work fine and when i pull the lever to flash high beams they work but if i push it to leave them on, its just turns my lights off completely. I have taken the steering wheel off and had a brief look but i don't really know what goes on there so i couldn't figure it out. has anyone had the same problem or know why it could be happening??

Members dont see this ad

RW is a red & white wire, RY red & yellow, RG red & green, RB red & black.

The headlight 'on' switch turns on the lowbeam relay, (via RW) which sends power through the 'common' wire (RB, marked in black) to the bulbs. The power going back through both high & low filaments at once gets earthed by the dipswitch on the column, either one of them at a time. (RG, green and RY, yellow)

From the drawing of the dipswitch you can see that the 'flash' function earths high and low, the low beam selection earths RG, and the high beam selection earths RY.

Check you have power at RY as it goes up the steering column with the headlights on, but don't pull the big connector apart or you won't heve power to turn the lights on. Slip a pin or needle up the wire as it goes into the junction and put a voltmeter on the pin. Alternately use the resistance function and see if there is a circuit from the headlight bulb end to the connector end of RY

If you have power in RY going back to the dipswitch, then the problem is in the dipswitch itself. You can pull them apart and see if power gets back to the contacts, or if the RY is broken in the dipswitch itself.

post-7544-0-56304500-1364016685_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-41116000-1364017057_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...