Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Battery Drain (Remote Central Locking)

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

 

1984 Corolla KE70, stock engine and everything, battery less than one year old. No issues but shortly after installing a remote central locking kit the battery kept dying.

 

Cheap aftermarket kit mind you, and I wired the power directly to the battery in the engine bay.

 

Is the likely cause of the drain the remote central locking? If so

 

- Is it the continual drain caused by the remote aspect always sensing?

 

- Could it be a problem with the unit itself?

 

- Is it the poor wiring? Should it be connected to something else?

 

- Would a larger battery compensate for the drain if it is caused by the remote sensing?

 

If anyone can provide me with some advice it would be really appreciated. Setting up a new KE70 and transferring some parts over so I want to do a good job of it this time rather than rushing it. :D

Lol at the quote in your signature, i remember that guy.

 

I think the system will be "looking" for a signal, which will use a bit of power, but it should be miniscule.

 

if you disconnect it does it stop draining the battery?

 

Use a multi meter to meausre the current draw of the unit?

 

if one of the actuators is installed incorrectly, and it is sitting half way through its stroke, maybe its trying to push/pull the lock continuasly? i dunno, just a guess.

  • Author

Thanks for the replies guys. It looked wired properly, actuators worked really well.

 

I guess I'll just have to put it in the new car, run a multimeter over it and see what happens. Any suggestions on where the wire the power, somewhere inside the cabin? Yours is connected through the firewall directly to the battery terminal beezlebub?

 

Also I laugh every time I read AE92Nova's posts, particularly enjoy 'could/will drift away from a police chase to safety'.

Edited by xmoht

I had an amp cable from the previous owner under my drivers seat so I mounted the receiver there under the seat rail box. So its hard wired to the battery.

I never even got wiring instructions with mine, I had to guess it the kit was that cheap, still going after 3 years though.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.