My Kp61 Sprint

Adsport

Adsport, I am in Perth WA and have 3 KP 61 Starlets .. One is for parts , one is a road car in stock trim and the third is a full blown race car fitted with the Toyota 2ZZ motor (turbo) , Hollinger straight cut gearbox , hilux fully floating rear end , motec etc etc I don't come on forums so if you want to contact me my email is [email protected] I may have parts you require.. I do have moulds for the body kit , spoiler etc already here in Perth. The car is racing this weekend for the second time (brand new) at Wanneroo raceway if you are out and about would like to see your car. Cheers Steve Cherry ..

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve ! I have been following progress of your car where I can or where pics have leaked out.

I've been friends with Russ for a long time, we've talked about your car a lot hehe.

I tried to make it out the other week to see yours race, I also had about 50 different people MMS me images of your car on the day haha.

I will be doing my best to make it up there to see the car run, hopefully you have more luck with it than last time. I will make sure to introduce myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys! It's been a while.

I have been gathering parts from all over the place for this.

It's finally suspension time...

The rear is a bit of a no brainer, I have bought some "TRD Blues" suspension originally from AE86 to go in the rear with my lowered springs. I have since refurbished the outside of these and they look like brand new.

1000896_10151565143034142_40681675_n.jpg

The front gets a bit more interesting. Given that my brakes are pretty much complete dog shit (they are almost identical disc dimensions to stock KE70 but with a smaller piston) and I get two good pushes out of them before it turns to mud and I smell pads I really put upgrading the brakes to a priority. I didn't want to go the whole route of upgrading to AE86 gear as it pushes the track out and also affects the steering geometry. More technical information on this to come.

After a lot of thinking and pondering, looking at images and talking to people about cross compatability of components I have ended up going for a combination that nobody was sure would work, because it's not been done before to anybody's knowledge.

I am using RA65 power steering arms ($60) (specifically) with T3 KP61 to AE86 balljoint conical adapters ($65) , MA61 struts (brakes included) ( free) , SW20 FRONT AGX dampers ($300/pair) and AE86 camber hats ($100), $525.

The RA65 steering arms share the same characteristics of the KP arms, where the balljoint is offset from the centre. This will make the car retain it's great turn radius characteristics aswell as it's wheel track.

The MA61 struts have been shortened by 50mm to fit the AGX dampers for SW20 in. I went with SW20 front specifically for their valving, as I am using 2.8kg springs. Keep in mind that it's not a circuit car, it's a daily driver.

The original spring perches will be cut off of the original struts and transfered over to the MA61 struts so that I am basically building a whole strut assembly that retains all of the original fitment and steering characteristics of the original and it will be a no chassis mod fitment.

I'm about halfway with converting the struts themselves, then I have to clean everything up. I am still waiting on the balljoint adapters so I won't go pulling the car apart until they rock up. I did a dummy fit of it all last night on one side and it's pretty sweet ! The brakes fill out my entire wheel and should be a bit better than the current stuff!

i think they all look pretty similar nowdays, they tend to be a bit rough with some signs of surface rust. Luckily the shock body is really thick and the power brush gets rid of everything on the surface.

I'm not sure if they have any more but here is their facepage :

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AE86-parts-and-performance/132166423532444

I also bought a Toda flywheel from them at the same time, $70 ex shipping hah!

In saying that, I have located a few 4age parts lately for my motor I am slowly putting together. I found some HKS 264 cams and have some Kaizen garage headers enroute :) All I pretty much need now is a clutch plate and cover (the next challenge) and I should have enough bits to get the motor ready......

Funnily enough I only had an issue after running a KLR short shifter. Plus the shift down to second is a struggle if I don't rev match. I have fixed a few clutch/pedal box issues since I put it in and would like to try a standard shifter to see if it helps (lost my old T50 shifter).