Race Set Up Ke25

team moose

hi guys new here hope I can get some help. I am currently doing a KE25 for sprints and hill climbs plan is to run a rotary but don't know what combo to run? is it easier to go the 4age? like I said new to this past experience was in a chevy powered 1958 fc so new to the 4 cylinder class it wont be road registered pure race. also confused on what suspension to run? I have seen a few of these around I live on the gold coast and would really appreciate any help. the aim is to do this as cheap as I can (the car was given to me complete with cage) don't mind modifying other parts to make fit.

post-17759-0-15970900-1368145736_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Pick the motor, gearbox and diff to use, then worry about suspension I'd say. Use a motor that fits a good close-ratio box and one you are familiar with (and can access parts easily after blow-ups!)

I'd start with a good gearbox and grab whatever motor fits. Check 2nd and 3rd ratios and find what has the closest. In the end, that will determine what cams you run and how fast you go. Currently we are using a W53 or similar, can't remember exactly which it is, but it has the highest 2nd of all the Toyota W boxes. The best upgrade for us is an Altezza 6speed, unless we go up another couple of thousand dollars for something that is a factory close-ratio box.

Take a look at the Steerfast Corolla build and aim for that!.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/64392-steerfast-rally-ke30-2-door/

BEAMS 3sge engine and the 6-speed box to suit is a mighty fine combo which will provide many fasts, however there are lighter motors out there and it's also relatively tall so you would need to make an effort to get mass as low and rearward as possible. Also not sure as to gearbox tunnel clearance with that box...

Alternatively, you can buy a 4age mounting kit from a guy on here for a decent price (have a look in the parts for sale area). A silver top 4age 20v can be had for 500-800 easily, a blacktop 20v a few hundred more but is nicer. T50 slush box bolts straight up and is fairly plentiful (came in ae71 corollas, early celicas, ae86's etc). W-series toyota boxes are strong and a well-established favourite swap for use in a myriad of cars from all makes. They are quite plentiful. The only source that I can name off the top of my head are the ma61 supras but it was widely used for many years.

Diffs are a pain in the ass for the ke25 / ke20 as they are extremely narrow so virtually anything you would swap in will be wider. However if you go a 4age and don't mind running wheels with a reasonably high positive offset you can fit a T-series diff pretty easily (just swap mounts and leaf saddles) - they can be had from early celicas (ta22 ra28 etc), st141 corona's (live-axle one not IRS obviously), T-18 corollas, and I think also ke70 / ae71 corollas as well. They can be had for very little. There's an excellent list of toyota diffs and their spec floating around the web somewhere, someone may chime in with a link.

A well established suspension and brake swap for the front is coil-over converted ae86 struts, ae86 ps steering arms (or te27 arms but they are very hard to find, have to look in USA or NZ), and japanese-spec ae86 discs & calipers (although aus one can be used with custom brake thinner pads). This mostly maintains front end geometry except about 1.5deg of positive camber is added. the brakes are not the best for circuit work though as they are only 234x18mm vented rotors. The ae86 is very well supported in the aftermarket so theres a good choice of parts.

Techno Toy Tuning sell a wilwood brake upgrade with 280mm rotors (from memory) to suit the ae86 struts, but it necessitates a 15 inch wheel.

Good luck, the 25 is an awesome car.

Start a build thread!

If you want super nice front suspension, check out Shockworks who make an amazing coilover strut for the ae86 and will customise to your car. Costs maybe 50% more than used coil-over converted struts and a set of good dampers but is essentially the best thing to happen to corolla front suspension in the last decade going by the feedback i've seen.

• 1 month later...