Sloppy 5 Speed.

Got what appears to be a ke70 5 speed in my ke30. The carpets cut to suit the shifter being closer to the handbrake then say a ke55 k40/k50. The gears arnt noisy but it feels sloppy/loose to shift. There was a little play in the shifter so I replaced it with one I had lying around from years back. Its a bit better but it still feels sloppy.

Are there adjustments I can make to tighten things up inside the box? Ive never pulled a box apart but if theres a way to tighten things up without rebuilding it Id give it a go.

Members dont see this ad
its not like its hard to find another k50.

which will be just as sloppy...

Mine is too, its part of the character of the car my daughter likes so much!

Is it left to right sloppy when in gear, or back and forth sloppy?? If you've had the carpet & boot off you will have seen what you can fix, and everything else needs the box pulled apart.

There's a few rubber/plastic bushes at the base of the stick where the ball is and there is one on the end of the stick, these are responsible to how it feels. And you don't need to even remove the gbox from the car to install.So try get new ones of these. Ajps sells a kit for the t50 which makes a 30yr old t50 feel new. It might fit the k50?

Edited by ke70dave

cheers for the fast responses.

It felt sloppy in both left to right and back and forth. Putting the better shifter in seemed to tighten up the left to right play. The plastic bush on the end of the shifter I removed did have wear. The better shifter bush looked pretty good. When not pressing the clutch in, its quite easy to pop it from 1st into neutral.

Thanks Dave, I have seen T50 kits available from AJPS.

Its been a while sinse I drove KE30's, if its inherit then I can live with it. Just hoping it wont be a problem come roadworthy time.

Edited by Killar_of_giants

diag_AHF0T0.png

You want to replace the bushing on the end of the shifter and the two "seats", they are the same between AE71/KE70/AE86/T18 etc (according to the part numbers on toyodiy.com) but order them through AJPS because he makes them out of delrin which is way harder and lasts longer than the normal rubber ones.

• 4 months later...