Why Won't My 3K Start?

Hey boys, I'm sort of new to this stuff. But I just had my 3k rebuilt, it had an auto in it, while it was out I put the locator bearing in and the clutch and flywheel with a ke70 5 speed.

I've hook all the wires back up exactly the way they were before I pulled it out, but it won't even turn over. I left the starter motor in it from the auto (as I heard they're the same) but I've tried so many things and it just will not turn over!

Has anyone been in the same situation and found what it was?

Rex.

Members dont see this ad

There are wires you need to bridge that stop you starting an automatic in anything but park.

Search around on the site, it has been discussed a number of times - you are not the first to get stuck on this!

There should be more wires on the auto than on the manual car, so some you join into the manual box (reverse lights) and some you join one original wire to another original wire (the "start only in park" lockout)

Take a look at what I did here, although there are a few variants around-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/58879-how-to-convert-an-auto-to-a-manual-ke70/page__pid__590801#entry590801

That's just the reverse light switch.

You need to bridge (read connect) the wires that inhibit the car from starting in drive.

Either that or you've just connected them to the reverse light switch.

I haven't owned an auto Corolla so I'm not sure if they're on the gearbox or the PRND21 selector but you must have two wires left over somewhere.

edit: even better with pictures - follow that link ^

And being a 3k I'm guessing you have an earlier model so your wires are a different colour. If you tell us the model/year I can look up my Gregory's for you.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

What colour are they? Are any of them white or black/white? The Gregory's manual says its a switch that bridges a white wire from the starter relay to a black/white lead on the ignition switch.

Or trace it back to the engine bay like step 10 in the above link. In the Celica photo shown in that link it's a black/white. Note option 2: run some extra wire into the ashtray and fit a kill switch.

KE30 1975 model.

The wires your after are the ones i have sitting over the shifter hole. The two red coloured wires are the ignition cutout circuit and the green wire and black wire are for the reversing lights

post-1432-0-36488800-1375095826_thumb.jpg

The two wires (green and white/black) between the shifter hole and the dash are the lights for the auto shifter.

Crap i knew i forgot something. Yep connect the two red wires to override the cutout.

The other two you'll have to run them up to the reverse switch on the gearbox up towards the bellhousing. You'll see two wires hanging off a 25mm bolt, thats the reverse switch.