How Hard Would It Be To Put New Pistion Rings In 3k

How hard would it be to put new pistion rings in 3k

would i be able to do it with the engine still in the car

my cars blowing a lot of smoke and using up a lot of oil latey so I'm guess its time for some new pistion rings get the head shaved and new head gasket and all that unless its somting eles?

I'm just wondering with the 3k engine if I would be able to do this work with out taking the engine and if any one would know how much it would cost to get the head shaved and how much for the pistoin ring and head gasket seat ??

Members dont see this ad

i just really noticed that the smoke isn't really blue, there is some blue smoke in there but its like gray/white smoke that's poring out of the car like a smoke machine what could that be

I just put a bottle of that stop smoke stuff in there so could it be that or the fuel or maybe a blow head gasket but I don't think its that the coolant hasn't goon down any

y thank you

so how would i do the piston rings

do i take off the sump and the head unbolt the con rods from the crank and just slid (hit) them out with the engine still in the car then put em back in and blot every thing up them up oh yeah would any one know how to convert Ft/Lb into NM

Seriously take the engine out. We did a ring replacement in car and it was hell. I'm not saying it can't be done its just easier out of the car!!

Get a gregorys manual or similar, that should outline everything you need to do. don't forget to hone the bores in some way or the rings will never seal properly and you'll find yourself re-ringing again in the very near future.

ft/lb into nm: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

yeah ill be honing it out and new value stem seals and every thing when i take the engine apart

mmm i don't have an engine Crain how much do u think the 3k engine weigh u recon me and a couple mate would be lift it out by hand? if we take off the head and other stuff first?

Chain blocks do the same thing, and can be cheaper.

Yes, you and a mate, and preferably another mate to guide things, can remove a 3k with a bit of Armstrong engineering. You don't even need to take the head off, although it makes thing easier. We never used to bother. All you need is a length of chain, and a long pole/ lump of wood. Done it a number of times. Find a really strong mate, and you can pull the box out with it. I used to do it with me and my mate Batch on one side, and another mate, Neville (LARGE gentleman) on the other.

Do yourself a favour, don't do the rings and bearings in car, pull the motor out.

Edited by Redwarf

Yeah i agree with what the others have said it will be alot quicker to take the motor and Gb all out in one we got one out of a KE70 Wagon in about 20 minutes, and yes get the block honed and get everything replaced while you have it apart, it can save you a real headache,

Cheers

Yeah I might get a chain block what do I attach it to it and what not

its chain block pulley thing ay

I could always blot it up to car part roof, do u think it will hold?? If I bolt it up to the wood things under the plaster bored roof if not what do I get to hold the chain pulley block thing?

Also should I just get another engine say like a 4k or a 5k and put new piston rings and all the other stuff and drop it in or would it not be worth it

are they same engine mounts is it an easy job if any one knows ??

arhh also my alternator stopped working today the change light stays on does this mean my alternator is stuffed

Edited by shadowhawk

i just got this car coz my nice car (toyota cressida) engine is stuffed and i needed something to get around in so i don't have any money to get another car it only really started to smoke really bad when i put that stop smoke nulon stuff in it so i might do an oil change and filter and see if it still blows smoke bad

while also was revving the shit out of the poor old engine trying to maybe blow that shit out or burn it all up but it didn't really work I toke it for a long run on the freeway today and it didn't smoke that bad after a little

I was having a look in my engine bay at the alternator and I noticed a block of wood in-between the intake and the exhaust and in-between the starter motor and the alternator I couldn't get it out I have to remove the alternator to do so and I don't know what the block of wood is doing there its only sitting in there loosely

With the alternator the charge light didn't come on today so

(strange things these corollas one day something not working and the next day its fixed it self )

I was having a look in my engine bay at the alternator and I noticed a block of wood in-between the intake and the exhaust and in-between the starter motor and the alternator I couldn't get it out I have to remove the alternator to do so and I don't know what the block of wood is doing there its only sitting in there loosely

What the f@$k?????? :D